PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Friend of mine that went to the St. Louis show this year knows what I like. He brought this tin back for me. Said he couldn’t remember for sure what the seller said he thought the age was.
While it’s not super old I think, it does have some differences from contemporary tins. Blended exclusively for Esoterica rather than Arango.

Mystery tin on left, 2018 tin on right.

FFAB7949-6CBC-4A20-AC08-4795346A5E0E.jpeg

Then on the rear there’s no distro sticker. Just a hard to read three numeral stamp? Something like a 150. Could be old Sharpie writing too.
The tin shape is obviously different on the bottom/back - just one big circular ridge.

5878D344-D188-4DEB-A092-F6727B791B97.jpeg

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I’ve seen Butera era tins where the front label says “Blended Exclusively For Butera...”.

Ive never seen a “Blended Exclusively for Esoterica...”

Reactions: BROBS

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I talked to Steve-Stud and he said the Butera name was added in 1996, which puts this one pre-‘96.

Did NOT see that coming.

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Hmm. I just opened an old tin of Erinmore Flake that had similar looking liquid black stuff on it. One drop had saturated through the paper at the bottom and reacted with the metal. I'd say the corrosion took out half the thickness of the tin at that spot. I threw out the parts of the flakes that were blacken with that drop. They smelled metallic.

Looking at your tin, the outside is pristine, but the inside lip of the tin looks uniformly corroded all around. You might want to pull the paper and tobacco out to check the inside bottom. In the case of my tin, the corrosion was from the inside. The outside was shopworn but had no major corrosion.

Last edited:

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Hmm. I just opened an old tin of Erinmore Flake that had similar looking liquid black stuff on it. One drop had saturated through the paper at the bottom and reacted with the metal. I'd say the corrosion took out half the thickness of the tin at that spot. I threw out the parts of the flakes that were blacken with that drop. They smelled metallic.

Looking at your tin, the outside is pristine, but the inside lip of the tin looks uniformly corroded all around. You might want to pull the paper and tobacco out to check the bottom. In the case of my tin, the corrosion was from the inside. The outside was shopworn but had no major corrosion.
It’s all good. The tobaccos is all in fine shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.