PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve become addicted to Bouy Gold tobacco. It’s not only ridiculously dirt cheap its a ridiculously good Virginia bright leaf forward blend.

At the tobacco shop in Versailles today where I was buying two pounds of Buoy Gold for about $25 there were Odessey hand rolled cigars on the counter, three for six bucks.

Odessey is imported by Scandinavian Tobacco from Estelí Nicaragua, probably the most prolific producers of hand rolled long filler premium cigars in the world.

These Estelí cigars are much like Buoy tobacco from North Carolina.

Not the best there is but damned close to being as good as the best. Not fancy, but a good, delicious, solid smoke.

Someday the do gooders will hike the forty cents a stick maximum tax on cigars and this world class two dollar a stick cigar bonanza will end.

Stock up now, while they are cheap.

Premium, large hand rolled long filler cigars of any brand were at least a dollar a stick forty and fifty years ago, in bundles.

Two dollars a stick today is an incredible bargain.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenMN
Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I’ve become addicted to Bouy Gold tobacco.

I didn't realize tobacco could be addictive.

On a serious note, the problem with these cheap cigars is usually that they're too mild for my taste. I'll give one of these Odesseys a shot though.

I don't know who makes these, but I've stocked up because they have a kick of pepper that is hard to find in a cheap stick.

Just a hair over a buck a piece, for the robustos. Short filler on these.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My father and his fellow Grade A milk producers made the best tasting whole milk on the planet, fifty or so years ago.

There were some fortunate minerals and nutrients in the prairie grass of South West Missouri that made the milk taste good.

The best filler for cigars still comes from selected fields in Cuba. If there hadn’t been a Cuban Revolution 65 years ago there’d not have been Dominican, Honduran, and Nicaraguan cigar industries of any size.

That said, non Cuban cigars were good fifty years ago and much, much better today.

There is still some milk produced in Southwest Missouri, as well. Not much by hillbilly farmers who named every cow, which each knew their place in line to be milked. The fescue has overrun the prairie grass and immigrants on HB-1 visas have replaced the family men who milked the cows, but it still tastes like good milk, you know?

This is one of my 3 favorite soils in the world for cigar tobacco. I actually enjoy some of the higher end Nicaraguan cigars just as well as stuff from the blessed isle of Cuba. The third shout out goes to Dominican Republic, however, i don't enjoy their lower end stuff. I've said for years that a person wants a budget stick that's still good quality and has lots of value in the flavor department, Esteli is the place to look!

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Odessey is not a favorite of mine. I found little body and extremley mild for me . It is what in Cuba is called tabaco flojo. In my opinion , there are better choices at low prices. But , if you like them , they are the way to go...for you.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It would be in the best interest of everyone in America and in Cuba to normalize our trade relations.

The Cubans still operate our cars from the fifties. We have to be content with Dominican, Honduran and Nicaraguan cigars. We’d both come out winner.

But last night I was with a group of folks that were teenagers when I was born in 1958.

If they were Cuban immigrants in Florida, they could go back to Cuba and say there stands my house the government stole from me in 1959.

But inside that house in Cuba would be somebody who’d lived there 65 years.

It’s a problem Solomon couldn’t solve.

But long course of time will.

Reactions: camaguey

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Might as well tell why...

Well…

I guess the question(s) any serious cigar smoker would ask, are these brands as good as they once were, from the original producers?

And would the cigar experts/aficionados say now, they are producing the best of what these blends once were?

Tastes are subjective, and if they make something someone enjoys, there’s nothing wrong with that, smoke what you enjoy.

I’ve been told by a cigar expert to avoid General/STG brands that these brands now aren’t what they use to be.

And then I think too, with there being so many blenders out there in the world now, offering cigars of all prices, why bother with these brands, rhetorically speaking of. So I stay away, with so many choices, from the top new world blenders, I see no reason to bother…

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The reason to buy an Esteli cigar imported by a recognized brand like Scandinavian is they have a reputation to protect and they’ll switch producers if there’s too many bad cigars.

God couldn’t count all the cigar makers in Esteli.

Only the best sell to the majors.

It’s sort of like Nortb Carolina bright leaf.

If the package says Buoy or American Harvest it’s good stuff.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The reason to buy an Esteli cigar imported by a recognized brand like Scandinavian

I wasn’t talking/referring to who is Importing, but who is making the cigars.

Odyssey cigars are made by General Cigars, and it’s my understanding STG makes cigars too, even though General is suppose to be a subsidiary under STG. I don know all the fine details.

I’ve never heard anyone say before ‘EstelI Cigar’, because it where most of them come from. There’s also Herrera Esteli by Drew Estate, I’ve seen these called simply Esteli Cigars.

If I had to bet my butt on Cigar smokers when it comes to General and STG, I’d think any of them would take a Fuente any day over anything made by General/STG, and Fuente are from the Dominican Republic too. But Fuente is making a factory in Nicaragua, so this will be interesting to see these cigars in the future.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There are over 80 factories in Esteli all making essentially the same product, hand rolled Nicaraguan cigars.

In such a place the workers won’t have any loyalty. They’ll pack over to another factory for a penny more a stick.

You and me could go to Esteli and buy a ship load of cigars.

But, how would we sell them?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
There are over 80 factories in Esteli all making essentially the same product, hand rolled Nicaraguan cigars.

In such a place the workers won’t have any loyalty. They’ll pack over to another factory for a penny more a stick.

You and me could go to Esteli and buy a ship load of cigars.

But, how would we sell them?

I was editing over my last reply, not sure you saw it completed.

Well there are still good cigars in the Dominican Republic, and Honduras. I assume, don’t think Fuente is ever going to shut down their Dominican Republic production.