Estate Surrey Pipe - What Is This Metal Piece Attached to the Tenon?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization In Title (See Rule 9)

I just received an estate pipe I bought on eBay. It's a John Surrey pipe made in England. It's got a metal piece attached to the end of the tenon which I've never seen before.

What is it?

What is its purpose?

Am I supposed to clean it?

Am I suppose to remove it for any reason (if so, how - it doesn't seem to want to come off easily) or does it remain attached?

If it remains attached, how do I run a pipe cleaner down the stem with this attached?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just received an estate pipe I bought on eBay. It's a John Surrey pipe made in England. It's got a metal piece attached to the end of the tenon which I've never seen before.

What is it?

What is its purpose?

Am I supposed to clean it?

Am I suppose to remove it for any reason (if so, how - it doesn't seem to want to come off easily) or does it remain attached?

If it remains attached, how do I run a pipe cleaner down the stem with this attached?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

View attachment 41622
it's a stinger.. pull that bitch out.
it may need some alcohol on it to come loose .. or heat the metal a small amount with a lighter then try to turn it with a pair of vice grips.. but be gentle!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Throughout the early through mid 1900's, there were a number of efforts to invent gadgets and designs to make a pipe smoke better. That is one of them (a stinger). All of those efforts failed, which is why we don't see any of that stuff in current pipes. As others have said, just pull it out, though it might take some effort and finesse to do so.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Throughout the early through mid 1900's, there were a number of efforts to invent gadgets and designs to make a pipe smoke better. That is one of them (a stinger). All of those efforts failed, which is why we don't see any of that stuff in current pipes. As others have said, just pull it out, though it might take some effort and finesse to do so.
Surprisingly there are some new pipes that have them! Especially French makers.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've never had an issue with passing a pipe cleaner through any of them while cleaning a pipe equipped with one

They would get in the way for me, so i just yanked them. I did save them though in case I ever wanted to sell the pipe and the new owner wanted to preserve the historical accuracy of the pipe. None were very expensive or collectable though.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
They have been around for ever. I came across a Victorian version glued into an amber stem in the form of a duck quill. I suppose that was the 1890s version of the Dunhill Inner Tube. For along as there have been pipes people have been trying out weird things to improve the smoking experience!

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.