PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My Ben Wade Amber just got here today, and it has a smell to it that is quite pleasant. A few of my estate aquisitions and a tobacco jar I got from ebay a while back have the same smell. It is slightly sweet with a nutty, vanilla,cinnamon, sandalwood kind of smell. Would really like to find the kind of tobacco that caused this smell, but after the myriad of blends I have tried in the past two decades, I have yet to find it. Any thoughts?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sounds like any number of aromatic ghosts that have faded with time. Is it a strong, fresh smell?
I had a pipe like that once and it tormented me for months trying to figure out what it was. I finally figured it out, or at least I think I did.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/eureka-mystery-tobacco-ghost-discovered-pampw-maple

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Will have to give that one a try, that smell has been killing me for years trying to find it. Thanks for the suggestion!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Lane Low I-Q? I have had that with a few meerschaums I have purchased over the years but it usual reminds me of some kind of twist or plug.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Is 1Q an older blend? Tends to be in pipes I acquire that are 20 to 40 years old. It is going on the list though! If I find it, could be my new all day smoke!

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I dunno man. I bought a few estate pipes. Cleaned most of them up and resold them for an extremely small profit. All of them smelled horrible and I just don't think estate pipes are a reasonable alternative to a new pipe. Sure you might save 20 bucks, but you will be smoking the butt of another person for months.. No thanks.
I did have one estate pipe that smelled like cinnamon.
Like I said, might save some money but to me, it just aint' worth it. Not to mention you will most probably get a crappy tasting pipe right out of the box from the mailman lol.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Where did you acquire them?
If the pipes are restored professionally, properly and thoroughly, then there should be no scents, unless the previous owner was extremely careless with the most basic regimen of maintenance, or the pipe was smoked rather heavily for a LONG time.
Some use pipe sweetener for the chamber and airway. At SPC we use Denatured Alcohol in our restoration process, which some have said here imparts a slightly sweet scent to the first smoke. Since I mainly smoke flavored Virginias ( Lakelands and the such ), I haven't noticed it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
From pipestud he sells them as is to accurately represent his consignments. Plus I really enjoy restoring them as well as making them. Just really like the smell that I have found in a couple of my estates and would like to try the tobacco that produced it. Oh, I use moonshine and everclear to clean the airways and chamber. Leaves the pipe virtually taste neutral.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@hakchuma I don't buy estates for the discount, have spent a couple of thousand on new pipes in the last two years. The estates I buy tend to be from makers or companies that are no longer around, plus I really like Preben era Wades. A quick flush with grain alcohol, and the ghosts of the pipe's past are gone, and the pipe is ready for the next chapter of its story. :wink:

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
Rcstan- Why denatured alcohol? It is my understanding that denatured alcohol is ethanol with toxic additives and would be quite the opposite of what you would want to use to clean a pipe with. Is there a reason you guys don't use plain old ethanol?

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I bought some Everclear a couple weeks ago, a large 1.75 L bottle for 40 bucks. That should last me a lot of cleaning time.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
jthomas04
I do not know of a specific reason to use or not use Denatured Alcohol. Perhaps because we found it to work well for its intended purpose, it's low cost ($16 a gallon), has no after smell, and cuts down boozing up on the pipe cleaning liquid at work 8O
Seriously now, I found no ill effects on using Denatured Alcohol. I've been using it to deep clean my own pipes for the last three years.
FWIW here is the MSDS from the manufacturers's website:
http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/KS_Denatured_Alcohol_MSDS.pdf

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Ingestion:

If swallowed, do NOT induce vomiting. Seek immediate medical attention. Call a

physician, hospital emergency room, or poison control center immediately. Never give

anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
Poison. This product contains methanol. Methanol is metabolized to formaldehyde and

formic acid. These metabolites may cause metabolic acidosis, visual disturbances and

blindness. Since metabolism is required for these toxic symptoms, their onset may be

delayed from 6 to 30 hours following ingestion. Ethanol competes for the same metabolic

pathway and has been used as an antidote. Methanol is effectively removed by

hemodialysis. Call your local poison control center for further instructions
I'll stick with Everclear :D

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It's the taste of grain alcohol infused briar. I'll walk around all day with a freshly restored estate between my teeth just for that taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.