PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
The PAD continues but fuck it, i don't really care bc i practically STOLE this beautiful pipe. It's an Ed Andrew Jurkiewicz (E. Andrew) Eagle Grade Canadian, made in 2007. It's incredibly light for its size at 57 grams. 6.75"L, 2" bowl, 1.5"OD, 7/8"ID. The pics on ebay did the pipe zero justice, which is a great thing because it must have been the reason no one else realized what was in front of them. It was one of those auctions that was getting very close to the end and the price was abnormally low. Now we've all seen this a million times, it goes from $45 to $245 in the last 20 seconds and you get sniped by those sneaky bastards with apps for that shit yet again. Not this time. I set my max at what i was comfortable spending and won. It is possible that the stem is a replacement, only because all the research i did points to most of his pipes having either a gold scripted "A" or a gold dot on the stem. My stem has no such emblems, but i did see a few other E. Andrews on ebay completed listings with emblem-less stems as well. Maybe one of you guys can shed some light on the issue, if you are familiar with Ed's work.
I smoked some burley flake #3 and a bowl of Stonehaven right afterwards last night and this baby burns nice and cool the entire way through. The draw is wide open and perfect for my liking. I am just overall very happy with this addition to my collection. I am even happier with the price i paid, probably one of the top 3 or 5 deals i have gotten on ebay. It just goes to show you once again that if you are patient and diligent in keeping up with ebay listings, you will find a diamond in the rough and catch everyone sleeping on an auction and score an amazing pipe at an amazing price. The only downfall with all of this is that it kills me to think about paying retail for pipes, lol.
Here's a few pics:
20140917_225552-600x450.jpg

20140917_225608-600x450.jpg

20140917_225714-600x450.jpg

20140917_225740-600x450.jpg

20140917_225800-600x450.jpg

20140917_230019-600x450.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Love the shape, smokes cool by design, and that wood looks specatular! It is a bit of a tease not sharing the detail.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Awesome win, that's a nice manly pipe.
newbroom wrote:
It is a bit of a tease not sharing the detail.
I'm confused, what detail?
Not sure but I think he means the price.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Not sure but I think he means the price.
Ahhh, yeah you could be right. If that is the case, i don't mind sharing at all. Sometimes, depending on the pipe, i am not so anxious to reveal that information, such as if it was a commission or someone gave me a really good deal on it and wanted me to keep it between them and me. Ebay stuff you can't really hide, as a quick search will reveal what it went for if you posted pics with the thread.
The bidding ended at $45 plus around $6 shipping. The pipe is worth a hell of a lot more than that, especially the condition it is in and being an eagle grade. Hell, i could probably turn around and flip it for around $150 (plus or minus $20), but that is not my thing. I buy pipes to smoke them, and if down the road i don't smoke them anymore or grow away from that style of pipe, i might sell it or give it away depending on the pipe. If i can make my money back or make it back plus some, then great. I can't stand it when people (it appears they do this, but it may be a different story in some cases but i am talking about ONLY to make a profit) buy pipes from artisan pipe makers that are in demand, JUST to turn around and jack up the price 25-50% and make money off of the artisan for keeping his prices reasonable for the everyday Joe who wants a quality pipe at an affordable price. I think most or at least some of you know know the artisan(s) i am talking about and have seen it happen. I know it's not illegal or anything, but it's just my opinion. I think it's a dirtbag thing to do. But to each their own.
Sorry for the completely off topic rant. 8)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a snazzy little cant on the bowl, unusual for a Canadian shape. After owning only one Canadian for

a long time, I recently bought two more. It's a shape with a lot of presence. Yours has outstanding grain

all the way down.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Wow that's a great price. And I know what you mean about the rant. But it makes me glad to see someone getting a pipe like that at an awesome price. It makes the pipe that much more special.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
LIP:
Excellent score on a beautiful burner. (I do love those long stemmed Canadians.)
Mso wrote: "It's a shape with a lot of presence."
True words from a true wordsmith. The grain runs north to south and I'll take those cool smoking thick walls any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
You scored big time, pal. Good eye, good catch and well done.
From one Bay shopper to another,
Fnord

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
SUCH a DEAL! Ebay hunting takes on its own life and becomes a contest to hunt down the best value.

Yes, I was alluding to the price, and from the opening comment I figured it was the $45 figure that layinpipe mentioned.
I love the long integral shank of the Canadian style. My old St James London Pipe is one of my favorites and I have yet to put a match to a bowl in my Comoys Crescent #295. It's too pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies.