PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twosheds1

Lurker
Oct 20, 2016
Found this beauty at an estate sale over the weekend:

Unsmoked, in the original box, with accompanying paperwork. I almost don't want to use it and tarnish its unspoiled beauty. I've never smoked a meer before. Anything I should know before firing it up for the first time?

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Very nice. Fire that baby up!

Smoke it everyday and post another picture in about a month.

Nice find.

twosheds1

Lurker
Oct 20, 2016
Nice find. Hope you got a good price.
Forgot to mention the price: $5!
Yes, a nice looker. Are those grapes in part of the carving?
Indeed they are. The weather's supposed to be pretty decent this week, so I'll take a lunchtime walk and fire it up.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Hayim Pinhas was one of the earliest names in Turkish meerschaum, from the 1960s and early 1970s. Pinhas wasn't, as far as I know, a carver, but rather an exporter (in Istanbul) who bought from carvers and sold to the American market. He marketed extensively in the US. I've never seen anything I'd call spectacular, but there were lots and lots of low-quality meers coming out of Turkey and neither have I seen anything awful from Pinhas. Generally it's the usual bearded men wearing turbans (THE most common Turkish meer of the era) and these grape-and-vine carvings (I use CAO's term for them, "Mediterranean"). The one I have is an abstract. The stems are marbled yellow plastic and those I've examined have push-pull plastic connectors.
$5 is a steal for this, and this forward-canted "Belge" shape is one I haven't seen from Pinhas, and rarely from Turkey at all. If you decide to smoke this, it should smoke nicely (assuming the draw is good) and color well, too. I usually consider the "Mediterranean" carving somewhat drab, but I love this example and I'd be happy with this find, especially with the box and everything!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great history lesson, Jonas!
I remember Pinhas pipes selling at my local tobacconist in that time frame for 25 bucks and more. They were too rich for my school boy budget. I bought ten dollar GBDs instead.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.