PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The notion of buying a less than pristine restored pipe is disgusting and you don't know where the sellers hands have been.

Sure but I wouldn't assume a new pipe is sterile either. They potentially get handled by any number of factory people, dealers, shop workers and prospective buyers before it can end up in your hands. Who knows where any of their hands have been? The point is, new or used you have to clean it either way. I know I do.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The notion of buying a less than pristine restored pipe is disgusting and you don't know where the sellers hands have been.
Ever wander where the original carvers hands were, the previous owners, the person that restored it, or the person that packaged it to ship?

Restoring them from that kind of state is very enjoyable and there's nothing like turning a pig's ear into a silk purse.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Do you use silverware at a restaurant? At a bar? I think half of the value I find in Estates is getting to restore the pipe to something of its original glory! And contemplating what lives the pipe smoked through... What tobaccos...who owned it.....

M

Merton

Since I do not restore pipes I would not want someone else's caked, ghosted, sulphured mess. I think it is great that you have the skills, time and interest to restore an old pipe, I do not. Therefore, I wouldn't want or use one any more than I would use a fork with the prior diners dinner on it.
The "hands" comment was meant in jest.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and aquadoc
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I buy both but lately I have been leaning more towards estates, I buy them all ready in refurbished condition from a reputable sellers or serious'hobbyists since I don't have time to do this labor intensive and time consuming job by myself ,thats why my estates are never affordably priced'lol.Moreover it might be worthwhile mentioning ,refurbished ,restored pipes is not a new ones,so there might always be those little surprises one did not expect to face,

Reactions: aquadoc and jpmcwjr

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

Sure you do. Most pipe smokers and makers are men so you know from time to time they have reached down to make sure Jack and the twins are doing ok. In either case, old or new, you wipe the stem down with alcohol and you are good to go.

iacchus

Lurker
Jan 10, 2019
MS Gulf Coast
I buy both. Some of my absolute favorite workhorses are estate pipes. However, I don't buy estate cobs.

Also, sometimes a pipe that has caught your eye isn't in current production, or you want a specific period piece...

I smoke 'em all, though.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I just bought, and I do mean just (like less than an hour ago) an estate Frank Axmacher pipe. I never would have afforded it new. As it is, and after talking to the seller, I probably got too good of a deal. Neither the seller or I can figure out how it sat for so long on his website without being sold for the price. His website is a bit outdated and probably doesn't get as much traffic as others which is a partial explanation.

Now the seller I know has cleaned and sanitized the pipe. I'll re-sanitize the stem after receipt and then smoke away. It's no different than using a fork in a restaurant.

The only difference, other than price, that I see between between new and estates is the level of cleaning required. By a clean estate from a reputable seller and a quick re-sanitizing of the stem is all you need. It takes less than a minute and costs no more than a few pennies. Others here do the exact same thing with new and I probably should too. If I buy a new set of forks I know I wash them before they go in the drawer so why not the same with a pipe?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All pipes I acquire get a hot water flush and pipe cleaner, mortise cleaning and stem wipe down before smoking, unsmoked or cleaned by a very reputable dealer. Takes 30 seconds and can smoke immediately.

Sometimes I wipe the flatware at a restaurant, but not often. I am no "Monk" (the TV show, not a recluse)—at least not quite yet.

Reactions: shanez

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
While I enjoy the history and story behind estate pipes, I find that significantly old pipes (70’s and older) are likely to have been abused. I’ve bought a few newer pipes, less than 5 years old, that are gorgeous but beat to absolute shit. The bowls are over-reamed, rims charred, airways charred...

I won’t knock estates outright, because I have a few that are absolute treasures. But, in my experience, my best smokes are from pipes that I’ve properly cared for. I don’t char rims, I clean after every smoke, etc.

If the price is right and it’s been lightly used, I say go for it. Otherwise, I’d rather pay a little bit more for a new pipe. Just my personal opinion. I just bought a 60’s Dunhill recently that looks fairly clean, but needed 50 pipe cleaners soaked in alcohol, coffee grounds in the bowl, and still tastes like crap. Estates can make for disappointing smokes, I’d says it’s 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.