Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I just received an Estate Dunhill on eBay. I have picked up a few recently. All state they have been cleaned, etc. This person claimed the usual stuff- cleaned, etc. Even reamed it! I assumed it had been cleaned and didn't run a pipe cleaner like I might ordinarily do.
It just didn't smoke great. Why?
So I cleaned it after lunch- it was filthy! It took me about a half hour to clean it. (It is possible this guy sells a lot of pipes and got confused!)
I learned- ask questions first.
JohnK

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just received an Estate Dunhill on eBay. I have picked up a few recently. All state they have been cleaned, etc. This person claimed the usual stuff- cleaned, etc. Even reamed it! I assumed it had been cleaned and didn't run a pipe cleaner like I might ordinarily do.
It just didn't smoke great. Why?
So I cleaned it after lunch- it was filthy! It took me about a half hour to clean it. (It is possible this guy sells a lot of pipes and got confused!)
I learned- ask questions first.
JohnK
Never take it at face value that an ebay estate has been "cleaned and ready for out of the box" enjoyment. I've had to clean every one claiming such.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Even from a trusted seller I hot water flush a pipe new to me. Just cautious!
And new pipes, too, in case there's anything in the airway from manufacture.

Reactions: OzPiper

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There are plenty of guys who claim they clean a pipe. My idea of a clean pipe is much different than most peoples so I got used to cleaning all my ebay pipes to my level of clean when I get in an ebay pipe. I will email them and tell them they don't know shit about cleaning a pipe. I still give them a good rating as I don't want to be banned from buying from them as some guys will do that to you.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I clean EVERY pipe I purchase, new or estate. You don’t know to what standard the previous owner cleaned an estate and ”new” pipes may still have dust and whatnot in the shank. It doesn’t take much time and I have the confidence that all of my pipes are up to my standards of clean.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
I sell pipes on Ebay and I clean my pipes pretty well before I send them out. That said, I'd agree that it is best to clean the pipes you buy to your own standards. I don't ream the pipes I sell for that reason. Everyone has their own cake preference and "cleanliness" preference. It's always best to do it yourself.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
It is Ebay. Nothing you read in the description or see in the pictures will either be accurate or based on accurate knowledge. If you proceed in this manner, you will be assured that a low bar of expectations never disappoints. That said, yes, there are decent sellers. But it is a swap meet in the middle of Arkansas for all purposes that matter. Prepare to be surprised. The pipe might exceed expectations and... it might not.

And seller ratings... mean very little. Almost everyone has an either perfect or near perfect rating. What gives with that?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I will email them and tell them they don't know shit about cleaning a pipe. I still give them a good rating as I don't want to be banned from buying from them as some guys will do that to you.
So the old adage, Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice..." doesn't apply? If I am disappointed from a seller and it can not be rectified, low ratings proceed and I ban them from ever buying from them again. I doubt that I would use profanity and think that would somehow "school" them for the better. YMMV

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Never take it at face value that an ebay estate has been "cleaned and ready for out of the box" enjoyment. I've had to clean every one claiming such.
Sadly my experience too, with the majority of Ebay vendors.
I've been pleasantly surprised on a couple of occasions by very clean pipes, but that is the exception.

I now examine the shank and mortise of every estate pipes received with a very strong light. If there are decades of concreted gunk, a pipe cleaner will not reveal the extent of the muck lurking.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!" Is how it usually goes.

While raised close to the Show Me State, I am of that ilk. One reason I love pipe shows!

Reactions: OzPiper