PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
New Guy again
I have acquired some estate pipes that I would like to smoke. However, I am afraid too before they are clean and sanitized. So I can start with whatever tobacco I want. Does anyone here have any recommendations as to whom I can send the pipes too.
I also want to thank everyone one the form you all are awesome. Have not found a better please to learn about pipe tobacco smoking.
I am in Germany if anyone needs anything let me know and hit me up. I see what I can do.
Thanks
Oldmannk

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Oldmannk:
You may not need to send the pipes to anyone. Depending on how much cleaning is required/desired, you can make a significant difference by doing it yourself.
Search the forum for information regarding the salt/alcohol treatment. Depending on the pipes' conditions, it may take one to three "treatments" to remove the previous tobaccos' taste/smell. But it's a very easy procedure that only requires salt, a high-proof alcohol (I use Bacardi 151 rum), and some pipe cleaners or Q-tips. (Not sure if "Q-tips" is a known brand in Germany, but they're the cotton swabs you would use to clean ears.)
Bob

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Just like rmbittner said, the salt and alcohol treatment will do wonders for your bowl. I just did it to 2 estate pipes (one I found in super bad condition at a thrift store and the other I was sent in a trade with someone on another forum). Both smelled really bad, but after 2 salt and alcohol treatments, it took on a sweet smell and they smoked great.
On the salt, though, be sure to use kosher salt.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Check with your local tobacco shop. They may be able to do it for you or refer you to someone who can. It's really not that hard to do yourself. Lots of info here and other places on refurbing and cleaning.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
As the above members have said, there is little reason to refer an estate to someone else as almost all cleaning work can be done at home. I used to be "germaphobed" (afraid of germs) about estates until I bought several and cleaned/refurbished them myself. They all eventually became good and trusted pipes.
With a bit of work almost any used pipe can become great! :puffy:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Unless you just don't want to, the advice to try it yourself will save money.
I use 191 proof Everclear to sterilize the stem - soak for about 1/2 hour. You can use 91 percent Isopropyl alcohol (get it at your pharmacy) for the shank and add it to Kosher salt for the inside of the bowl - let it soak till the salt turns brownish, remove and redo, I have small corks that I use to stop up the end of the shank.
Wipe the exterior down with diluted 1:1 ratio of water and Simple Green (a natural cleaner that won't harm you). I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil on my stems, letting them sit for awhile before wipeing down.
Good Luck, and don't forget to post pictures!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome to the forum! My pipe restoration mentor is Steve Laug. He posts all of his restoration techniques in his blog:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/

I also have a few essays in there as well, mine are under the name "Upshallfan".

Have fun with the restorations!

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
If you're talking just getting them in smoking shape and not cosmetic it's real easy.
Just follow what everyone has said. Alcohol and pipe cleaners in the stems until they come out clean, salt and alcohol treat the bowl and let them dry for 24 hours...Boom you got a smoker. Cheap and easy.
Cosmetic work gets a little trickier, but it's really easy as well. I have just started restoring estates and there is a lot of trial and error, but if you enjoy working with your hands and like to save money, it's a lot of fun!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Many pipe smokers, including this one, are very relaxed about sanitizing bits. Unless it looks ugly I just smoke it. Nor have I ever restored a pipe; but here I think I am the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.