PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hello All,
I recently acquired an estate pipe that is in otherwise beautiful shape, but the stem fits very loosely into the shank. Loose enough that the slightest pressure on the bowl will cause it to twist. Anyone have any recommendations as to a possible way to fix this? I would sure love to be able to smoke it without having to worry about the bowl spinning around like a pinwheel.
Thanks!
Frank

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If smoking it a bunch of times over a few days doesn't tighten it, the next step is beeswax on the tenon, and/or wetting the mortise a few times over a day or so. Then, if still no joy, heating the tenon. It will return to its original shape (assuming it hasn't been sanded or filed down in the past).

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As said above - You may consider applying a light layer of nail lacquer on the tenon,

Btw, as for the heating, don't push the tenon on the flat surface, more likely the shape of it will be deformed if you do so)

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Even I was able to get good results from the Walt Cannoy method, so it must be genuinely foolproof. I had no idea vulcanite has memory. (Oh, the stories my stems could tell!) George also has a multi-part video on how to do it The Right Way. It's beyond my own skill level and tools, but it was interesting to see how he does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.