PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I just bought a six pipe rack and 4 pipes off of ebay.
Here's the link (hope it works):
Estate Pipes!
Anyway, they should get here today, and they'll be my first estates so what is the normal protocol for restoring/cleaning used pipes? I don't really have many shop tools or special reamers either.
From the pics, it looks like they all have stingers which I'll likely lop off, so how best can I do that?

And also, I was thinking maybe taking some wood off the tops of the bowls of the two taller bowled pipes as well. I don't have a band saw, so how should I go about that if I decide to?

And one of them is meer-lined... it'll be my first meer anything, so how should I clean/restore, smoke, and maintain it? I know I shouldn't have any cake in it, but is anything else different in a meer-lined than just a straight briar?
I know, it's a lot of questions, but any help would be wonderful! Thanks! :mrgreen:

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
For starters, you should get a reamer and a retort. I know someone on the forums is thinking about making retorts again, but there is also someone on eBay who makes them.
As for the reamer, I have one of these bad boys. It does wonders, though it doesn't fit all pipes. I'd also get one of while you're at it.
What I did before the retort was this. I'd ream the bowl, which one must be careful about. Make sure to keep the cake even, and go slow! As slow was you can. I like very little cake, but it's up to you. Once you've done this, get some good ol' Kosher salt and the highest proof liquor you can find. If you don't live in California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Washington, West Virginia, and Virginia, go buy Everclear 190 proof. If you do live in one of these states, go for Everclear 151. Remove the stem, and place a piece of cotton cloth where the stem should go, and make sure it's tight. Fill the bowl with about half full with Kosher salt. Then fill the rest with the liquor. Be sure not to spill any liquor on the rim of the pipe, or the bowl. Let it sit for about 24 hours. Rinse and repeat till the salt comes out clean.
This is the video I used, though I'm sure other members would know better methods. I am but a mere nooby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4yzbYxFs7I

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks misterrogers! very helpful, I suppose I'll man up and use some of my bourbon. :(

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I'd stick with the cheap but high proof stuff. I don't remember who, but they said "I would not put anything in my pipe I would not drink." Seeing as I'm a college student, I'll drink damn near anything (Not really), but the higher the proof, the better.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I hear ya there, I'm a married college student with a kid on the way... I'll just about drink anything as well, except for cheap beer.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Just noticed a mistake. When I said...
Once you've done this, get some good ol' Kosher salt and the highest proof liquor you can find. If you don't live in California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Washington, West Virginia, and Virginia, go buy Everclear 190 proof.
I meant to say you will not be able to buy Everclear 190. In these states, it is illegal to sell Everclear 190 proof. You can buy Everclear 151 in most states, but not all.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
...it looks like they all have stingers which I'll likely lop off, so how best can I do that?

Many stingers are simple compression fit. No need to cut off just pull em' out.

You will want to try a few bowls with the stingers in place though. Some of mine actually smoke better with them left in place.

If you need to cut em' off just use a fine tooth hack saw.

And also, I was thinking maybe taking some wood off the tops of the bowls of the two taller bowled pipes as well. I don't have a band saw, so how should I go about that if I decide to?

Again, try em' out first.

If your hard pressed for tools that same hacksaw can be used to top the bowls if your looking at taking a lot of material off.

Finish topping the bowls by sanding. I control the contour of the bowl tops by supporting the sandpaper with a "form" if you will.

Hard, flat board for a flat rim. Even pressure in a orbital motion.

For a rounded rim I use a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet for a pad under the sandpaper. Pressing the bowl into the padded sandpaper, twist the bowl in one place rather than an orbital motion.

I get a rounded edge on the inside of the rim by using an appropriate ball for a form for the sandpaper. I've used tennis and ping-pong balls with pleasing results.

And one of them is meer-lined... it'll be my first meer anything, so how should I clean/restore, smoke, and maintain it? I know I shouldn't have any cake in it, but is anything else different in a meer-lined than just a straight briar?

Can't address the meer-lined.

Status
Not open for further replies.