Estate Pipe has Cracks / Fissures in Bowl - Is it Repairable or Should I Return It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm looking. Looks to me like the Briar above is bare wood, as happens when you overbore using the next size reamer, which won't make it completely down the chamber. And the bottom, bare again where it met the tip of the reamer.

I'm saying "maybe" and I'm saying you won't know for certain until you see the wood. I have a few burnouts (that I didn't return because they have historical value) and after sanding, yes, the bare wood is barrel shaped where wood was lost to burn. But I confirm this.
THAT is just what the cremated briar walls of the chamber will look like. Even if the walls have been sanded back to bare wood, the area that is most deeply affected will have been charcoaled deeper. I've seen this before. It wouldn't surprise me if a previous owner used a torch type lighter on this pipe. That's some impressive heat damage.

Reactions: Bam

Bam

Lurker
Nov 25, 2020
THAT is just what the cremated briar walls of the chamber will look like. Even if the walls have been sanded back to bare wood, the area that is most deeply affected will have been charcoaled deeper. I've seen this before. It wouldn't surprise me if a previous owner used a torch type lighter on this pipe. That's some impressive heat damage.

I am so glad I decided to send it back for refund now. It's so strange because the rest of the pipe is in excellent condition. The rim has no damage that I can see. I wonder why you would be careful not to char the rim but then destroy the inside of the bowl with mistreatment.

Reactions: DangerStranger
Status
Not open for further replies.