PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Hello all, I've recently bought an estate Savinelli 621 for around $30.
While the pipe overall seems in clean and good condition, I've noticed a few flaws.

Now, my expectations for this pipe weren't high because I wanted a cheapish pipe for when I'm out and about, which I can take in my pocket and not be afraid of ruining it somehow. This is also the reason I didn't go for a new Savinelli of this model.

Now since I usually don't buy estate pipes (I'm just not familiar with the cleanup process etc) I have a few questions:

a) The outside bowl has a bigger crack (click on photos to enlarge) and the shank has a smaller crack as well, is this something that can be tolerated or will it impair the smoking ability and longevity of the pipe significally? Are there any steps I should take or just forget about it and smoke the pipe, given my intended use?

b) The seller of the pipe has claimed that he polished, reamed and desinfected the pipe. I'm somewhat picky about hygiene, so I'd like to give the pipe another desinfection run. I understand 70% isopropryl alcohol is commonly used to clean and desinfect stems. Can I wipe the inside of the bowl and the inside of the shank with a cloth dipped in isopropryl alcohol as well or is this not recommended for the smoking chamber/shank?

c) What is the correct procedure for desinfecting a pipe? Just let the alcohol dry off after wiping the smoking chamber (inside), shank (inside), stem (inside and outside) and I'm good to go? I'm not talking about in-depth cleaning and removing of condensate/buildup in the chamber, just killing of potential germs.

d) Have I been ripped off? :LOL:

Thanks a lot for your help!

sav1.jpgsav2.jpgsav3.jpgsav4.jpgsav5.jpg

Slacey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2020
Telford, UK
www.youtube.com
I think that pipe has been used as a weapon! Be careful with inserting the stem - doesn't look like the crack goes right through? The same with the one on the stummel, if it doesn't go through to the inside of the bowl it should be OK. Yes to the alcohol to wipe down, fine as long as you don't get ANY on the outside finish; it will trip the wax and colour. If the bowl smells of tobacco not to your liking, fill it with damp coffee grounds, let dry for a couple of days and that should sort it.
Other than that, just smoke it - you'll soon know if it's a dud or not.

Reactions: chopper

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I think that pipe has been used as a weapon! Be careful with inserting the stem - doesn't look like the crack goes right through? The same with the one on the stummel, if it doesn't go through to the inside of the bowl it should be OK. Yes to the alcohol to wipe down, fine as long as you don't get ANY on the outside finish; it will trip the wax and colour. If the bowl smells of tobacco not to your liking, fill it with damp coffee grounds, let dry for a couple of days and that should sort it.
Other than that, just smoke it - you'll soon know if it's a dud or not.

Thanks for the response. Indeed, the stummel crack doesn't go through and neither does the shank's crack. I guess I'm just gonna disinfect it, dry it and smoke it.

In retrospect, I probably should have been more cautious with the ad showing only one photo and not specifically mentioning the condition of the pipe. What can I say, I've had the 621 shape on my list for the longest while and was probably blinded both by that and inexperience with estate purchases in general.

Best case, it'll smoke good for a while. Worst case, it's 30$ and a lesson learned.

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
For 30 dollars, I'd just run the pipe cleaner through it to see if anything funky comes out and enjoy it while it lasts. The shank looks thick enough to hold up for some time even if you work the stem.

I wouldn't worry at all about crack on the bowl.

Reactions: bent1

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Bet you'll never buy another pipe without checking it out more thoroughly. That being said, this estate pipe has some major defects, but for $30.00, I'd smoke it, and use it in the way you intended to use it.

I will leave it to the more experienced gents, regarding additional refurbishing techniques....however, do treat yourself to the many informative and useful videos on You-tube that show pipe restorations, refurbishing, and refinishing/buffing techniques. These videos might be helpful to you now, or, in your future.

Actually, some the best pipes that I ever purchased, were "estate pipes". With a little elbow-grease, a few tools, and if you're willing to get your hands dirty, you can get yourself quite a few bargains.

Good luck with this pipe, but you'll do better with your next estate purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'd think you should be able to get $30 worth of smoking out of that pipe and if you take care when removing and replacing the stem, that crack in the shank may not get any worse. If you use isopropyl to clean it, go buy the 91% bottle at a drugstore. It does a better job of disinfecting. Also be sure and rinse with plenty of water to remove the alcohol.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd think you should be able to get $30 worth of smoking out of that pipe and if you take care when removing and replacing the stem, that crack in the shank may not get any worse. If you use isopropyl to clean it, go buy the 91% bottle at a drugstore. It does a better job of disinfecting. Also be sure and rinse with plenty of water to remove the alcohol.

Yep. Hot tap water is the finishing touch after coffee grounds and/or alcohol. And for this pipe in particular, remove the stem as little as possible.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Yep. Hot tap water is the finishing touch after coffee grounds and/or alcohol. And for this pipe in particular, remove the stem as little as possible.
Back in the 70s we had one pipe smoker on the ship that found a crack in the shank of his pipe. He just wrapped it with black electrical tape and continued smoking it. Eventually one of the machinist made him a brass band to put over the crack.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Put a band around the shank and it will keep the crack from getting bigger. It can be as simple as electrical tape as one poster said, or thread, even waxed floss, wire, mini hose clamp. You can do something fancier later if you want but at least do something. This will slow the progression of the crack considerably/ indefinitely.

The crack on the bowl is fine as long as you have an even cake inside, whatever the thickness.

Nice find and as you plan on keeping it as a smoker then the price is alright too.

Reactions: rushx9 and chopper

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
In retrospect, I probably should have been more cautious with the ad showing only one photo and not specifically mentioning the condition of the pipe. What can I say, I've had the 621 shape on my list for the longest while and was probably blinded both by that and inexperience with estate purchases in general.

Best case, it'll smoke good for a while. Worst case, it's 30$ and a lesson learned.
Did you purchase off of ebay? Etsy? or other website? If returning it is a possibility, I'd return it. If not, I would clean it and smoke it and see what happens.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't know. You paid $30, you got what you paid for. Kind of. If the seller didn't divulge that crack in the shank, they were shady. And it would have pissed me off. I'd probably return it just for that. With that said, looks like a pretty nice pipe and if handled with lots of care, could provide you years of smoking enjoyment. On the other hand, the second or third time you remove the stem could cause it to split in half.

As far as "disinfecting" it, I use Everclear myself. That's worked for me.

Reactions: chopper and brunot

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Thanks everyone for your input. I have purchased the pipe on a website similar to Craigslist, so returning it would mean a discussion with the seller. In any case, I've decided to keep the pipe and use the opportunity to restore it within my limited abilities.

So far I have cleaned the pipe's smoking chamber and shank with grain alcohol and managed to remove most of the residues, as well as the ghosting of the pipe. The vulcanite stem I have soaked in alcohol to bring the oxidation to the top, then used a magic eraser to remove the oxidation and buffed it with wax afterwards - looks like new and the sulfurous smell is gone. As far as the shank crack is concerned, I have not been able to find a suitable metallic band to use, so I got a wide rubber gasket used in plumbing. It fits on the shank tightly enough and should compress the area slightly for the crack not to advance further.

I think that is all I am going to do for now, so far (after a few days of drying) the pipe smokes beautifully and hopefully will last a while.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
It doesn't sound like you will be using it for the purpose you intended on using it for... throw it in your pocket and go! That will split as many sound pipes would also. If you going to travel, put it in a case of some sort. I use an Oakley sunglass case, it bulky but it also holds tobacco, a pipe tool, lighter, and cleaners.
I agree with smoking it and cleaning it up for funzies but I would not take it out, with the worries of compleat failure, disappointment, and loss of tobacco!

Otw, enjoy!