Estate Meer found in Leb near Syrian border. Stem question.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidvbaldi

Lurker
Aug 6, 2019
FtF3qgevcrsPncwKA

Fbxs6vR31R4v8iit8

ncMZdGVThgxxpd1p6

FJwnAMsNvSbqagCT9

q8z79P7qE1qrhQWY8

In case the pictures don't work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZQxWwopmZtTV9kF59
Found this meer pipe in Baalbek, Lebanon. I am trying to assess the stem situation. The threads are a little loose, and as you can see from the pictures, the stem over-rotates a bit, so is crooked when snug. In this position, the connection is not quite flush. But if I back it off a bit, it matches (and also puts the slight teeth marks on the underside of the stem). You can see the space in the last picture. This makes me think there may have been a spacer of some kind? In any case, I am thinking to fill this gap somehow, maybe making a spacer myself. Any recs? Any thoughts on this pipe?

I know what I would try - but I am worried that I am giving you bad advice.
A tendon of that type has generally two parts - one part screws on the stem, the other part on the bowl. The two parts can be separated with gentle pressure. I would put on the stem till it is completely tight and flush with the bowl. Then I would apply gentle pressure on the stem clockwise to see if the stem loosens and comes out as mentioned in before. Then I would put it back with pressure (like I would put the tenon in the mortise of a Briar pipe) with the correct orientation.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I generally cut thin paper discs and use them to shim it straight and then NEVER take it apart again. I personally would not do the above ( just my opinion)...

davidvbaldi

Lurker
Aug 6, 2019
So appreciate everyone's input, thank you. I am scared to follow cshubhra's advise, but the temptation to tinker is real—even just to see the piece come out. I had not thought of making paper spacers.. cheap, easy to replace, and forgiving. I thought that a brass washer would look cool, but the chances of finding one that would sit perfectly flush seems slim. Best thing about paper is I can do it right now!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I have used a cork spacer cut from a thin sheet of cork to fix an over-rotated horn stem.
Card stock paper, such as an index card or greeting card, would work as well.
For very thin gaps I have used culinary parchment paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.