PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
Hello!

I recently purchased a Kaywoodie pipe from eBay and I need some help. I noticed that the inside of the bowl looks extremely shiny. So shiny that I have some concerns about inadvertently smoking laquuer. Not my idea of a good time! Does the inside look Abby Normal?

In addition, the dang stem is crooked so I will be trying the ole lighter/stinger trick tonight.

Thanks for your help!
20201210_115805.jpg20201210_115624.jpg20201210_115704.jpg20201210_115716.jpg

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
Yeah.. That's why I'm concerned.. Not used to seeing that much gloss. Thinking it might need sanding or something like that. Wonder if any forum members have any other ideas. Perhaps this was some sort of display model? That would be unfortunate since I was looking forward to smoking it haha!

Reactions: bent1
Jun 23, 2019
This exact topic comes up once every couple of months. I've had one in my collection for a while now but have not smoked it yet either.

As for info on these pipes, there are enough around to suggest it is in fact OEM Kaywoodies but beyond that there's little out there to know weirdly...

Reactions: Pondfisher

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I sand them out then wipe with 91% isopropyl alcohol until they wipe clean. Might want to clean the stem with pipe cleaners.

Myself, I avoid Kaywoodie stinger pipes made after 1955. Typically their 3 hole stingers, draw is tighter. The new push stems are good to go.

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
Weird thing is that this thing was either refurbished, stored since the 70's -80's, or was just manufactured. The stinger looks fresh out of the plant..the internal threads are pristine..and there is zero smell coming from this pipe.

I plan on using a dowel rod and 120-180 grit sand paper to help get that shiny "glaze" out of the bowl. I have no experience whatsoever doing this so if anyone has any pointers, please let me know!! Gracias!

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
If it's unsmoked that might just be some shiny shellac in the chamber.

According to the president of S.M. Frank, Bill Feuerbach

"Our black bowl lining is a mix of thick natural shellac (3 1/2 pound cut) and FDA approved coloring. Black for use in Kaywoodie and Medico and yellow for use in Yello-bole. The shellac when warmed will get tacky and help the ash adhere to the walls of the chamber and help the initial cake start building up."

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
Thanks for the help folks! I ended up sanding it out and cleaned it out using tons of rum soaked pipe cleaners. First bowl was a B&M full english blend. The draw is so open I can barely tell there's a stinger. No where near as tight a draw as my other Kaywoodie.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the pipe is unsmoked, I'd except the Feuerbach explanation, but it looks like some kind of shellac or varnish over cake to me, from the one photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.