PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
A few years ago I purchased from Pipestud an estate James Upshall pipe, an apple-shaped freehand (FH) with a saddle bit, and which includes the stamps "A" and "Ex.L". This is the largest pipe in my collection, as I tend to favor bowl sizes equivalent to Dunhill's Group Three and Group Four. By comparison this monster looks like something that would grace Bradley's stable of big briars.
In-hand this pipe was much larger than I imagined and I found its size to be off-putting, so I put it in a drawer, resolving to try it "someday." Well, "someday" finally arrived yesterday, and now I am sorry that I waited. I filled its capacious bowl with aged Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed, and then settled back for a LONG smoke that proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable accompaniment to a hot cup of coffee and a good book.
I never imagined that I would appreciate a large-bowled pipe, for my tolerance of nicotine is on the low side leading me to favor shorter smokes. However, this pipe handled the Edgeworth well, was comfortable to hold in the hand, and passed pipe-cleaners effortlessly. I am looking forward to seeing how it handles other tobaccos, and can envision the day when it becomes my reading companion.
Thank-you, James Upshall (and Pipestud) for introducing me to something new and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.