PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I bought this pipe recently on Ebay and wanted to get some opinions. Im trying to decide if is should keep the pipe or not. This is a baronet 510EX. It think there is burnout around the draft hole that has been drilled out. There is definitely some missing briar down there. Im also curious if the hairline cracks in the bowl should be a concern. should i just sand them out?
olewaylon
[/url][/img]

olewaylon
[/url][/img]

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don't know what you paid, what the terms of sale were or whether you reamed the pipe and uncovered this mess or what but.... if it were my pipe and I could get my money back, I would. If i couldn't, I would try pipe mud.
Mike S.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Mike, the seller offered a full refund on the pipe. I only paid $15 for it. I cleaned the pipe out quite a bit but I think the seller knew what was going on with it and described the condition as "very good" condition.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
At $15, it might be better to just give it a clean and a smoke. For this price, your lucky to get something that isn't totally destroyed beyond repair.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
That may be a good pipe for fishing or some other risky (meaning danger of loss) adventure
The bowl looks damaged to me, but for $15.00, it may be worth it

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
If those conditions were not disclosed, then I would add that seller to the list of do not buy from them again.
If you have the time, equipment, and knowledge to restore a pipe then you have have something to practice your craft.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I can't see the first pic, but for 15 bucks I'd mix up some ash and honey then mud the bowl. Once you get some cake built up I think you'd be fine. I have a Caminetto just like that and it smokes just fine.
Good luck whatever you decide!

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I figure for $15 its worth repairing on my own using above listed methods.
Mike: the draft hole isn't all that big.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm with Sam, Waylon. I've seen and repaired worse and am still smoking same. Give it a rip and start smoking.
Worse case scenario it ends up being a tackle box burner that gave you a shot at honing your reclamation skills.
I love the thick walls and heft of that pipe.
Good luck, pard.
Fnord

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Fnord, I really dig the style of the pipe. I'm surprised i bought it for so cheap, especially with the false description. I'll fix her and make her an english pipe with this huge bowl.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That is the reason I never completely remove the cake from an estate pipe.Never know what's under it and if there is some cake left it's less likely you'll make the problem worse. If it's a really bad burn out it will usually show up on the outside of the pipe.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I'm 100% with the posts above, salvage it as best possible. The nice thing about a massive pipe like the 510EX is that there is plenty of wood there if you have tinker with it. I bought a 510EX in worse shape than that (I think I paid $8). It's got superglue on a crack and everything....... Smokes great.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I got her up to smoking condition with a bit of sanding and some Red Devil. First smoke i could taste the Red Devil a little bit, i hope that mellows out with successive bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.