PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
This is some ignorant blather. Have you ever bought anything in a store? Ever? Guess what genius, the store owner didn't pay the same amount that they are selling it to you for. It is common for stores to double the wholesale cost of an item, with no value added other than that they have it where and when you want it. No difference here. I personally think you are a huge tool for badmouthing people you have never met.
That normal price jump you're talking about has already happened when the company sold the blends to the distributers and tobacconists. What is happening with Esoterica is different. Imagine this analogy as an example:
For the purpose of this discussion, we'll say that you really like Doritos.
1. Doritos are made in the plant and sold to the supermarket for some very small amount.
2. Doritos are sold at the store for $4.00 a large bag
3. I go to the store, buy all of the Doritos as soon as they arrive, and there won't be another shipment for 6 months, so you can't have any.
4. I will now sell you the Doritos you want for $20 a bag. You pay shipping.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
^ agreed. Essentially, the retailer adds some value (moving the product from the wholesaler, who doesn't want to deal with individual small orders, to you). The scalper adds no value to the chain of sale.
I don't really begrudge anyone their opportunity at arbitrage or even scalping. Maybe they are desperate for the money. But I do find it lamentable.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
There's been roughly the same 15 tins of Esoterica sitting at my local B&M for the last month; they don't take phone orders.

Unfortunately, none I really care for that much (Pembroke, Margate, And So To Bed, and Sobraine).
Maybe I should buy them all and resale for twice the price? Not.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I know I said I wouldn't play into this any more, and I'm almost sorry now that I have done so. The other guy was just being condescending and disrespectful and it set me off. I've tried to keep my response quite civil.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
There's been roughly the same 15 tins of Esoterica sitting at my local B&M for the last month; they don't take phone orders.

Unfortunately, none I really care for that much (Pembroke, Margate, And So To Bed, and Sobraine).
Maybe I should buy them all and resale for twice the price? Not.
If you re-bought them and sold them for a reasonable price, just enough to cover your troubles, that would actually be pretty cool. The tobacco would be enjoyed instead of sitting on a shelf, and you'd get your next 2 tins of whatever paid for with the effort. Win/Win. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with re-selling in general, it's just that the insane price jumping is dishonest, and smacks of racketeering. If they were buying Esoterica for 38 bucks and re-selling it for 45, or even 50, it wouldn't be anything to complain about.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, there's a huge gulf between what the General is saying above and snapping up all you can get and then reselling at whatever you can get. Illegal? No. Immoral? Probably not. But it stinks to see a few greedy folks edge on on supplies of select tobaccos.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
There was a typo at the beginning of my last post. It should have run: "If you bought them and re-sold them" and not the other way around. Too late to edit so I'm posting this correction.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Is this irony?

Excellent point!
These threads never stop do they, and the name calling comes from both sides of the argument. I will say that they are entertaining at times but for the most part they're just the same old shit regurgitated in a slightly different way.
For the purpose of this discussion, we'll say that you really like Doritos.
1. Doritos are made in the plant and sold to the supermarket for some very small amount.
2. Doritos are sold at the store for $4.00 a large bag
3. I go to the store, buy all of the Doritos as soon as they arrive, and there won't be another shipment for 6 months, so you can't have any.
Another excellent point.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
And if nobody buys it, the price will drop the selling point that buyers are OK with.
This thread, and the dozens of others just like it that I've seen over the years, just confound me. If you don't like the price, don't pay it. You are not entitled to Esoterica. Nobody owes you Esoterica. If someone can turn a buck on your obsessive-compulsive desire to acquire Esoterica, then more power to them. That's why diamonds cost what they do. And, believe it or not, it's how Germain buys their tobacco. They don't grow tobacco, they don't buy from farmers, they most likely don't buy from the person who buys from the farmer. That tobacco may change hands several times before it ends up at Germain. I just don't get the outrage.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I have some moldy Dunbar I'm willing to sell for half of what I paid for it. Pick out the moldy bits, should be good to smoke!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I agree that aftermarket scalping isn't the equivalent of retail distribution and essentially parasitical, but then again so is a lot of economic activity.
And it's buyers who make the market. Whether it's Esoterica, or pre-teen hookers, or Oxycontin home boutiques, there's no market without customers. So feel all the righteous indignation you want against all of these parasites, but keep in mind that they only exist because there's a willing host.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The real problem here is that based on supply and demand, Esoterica is way underpriced in the retail market. Arango or Germain should be charging a lot more for it. I'm sure that there is a term in economics for this negative pressure on the supply side of things.
I'd be interested to know why they've kept the prices low in the face of incredible demand. In talking with B&M owners, I know that Arango uses Esoterica as a wedge to get other their other products on the shelves, refusing to sell Esoterica unless a store also buys X, Y and Z from them. But that can't be the only reason for them to keep the prices down.
Very good analogy with parasites and hosts, Jesse!

People complaining, gnashing their teeth, is allowing yourselves to be a part of the marketing of this product. It's like the Dark Side, the more you hate it, the stronger it gets.
Let the hate flow through you... yes, yes, prices are going up as we speak. Please complain more, and gnash more... it's making me rich! Muah ha ha!!!

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Being new i got plenty blends i wanna try im not worrying with the hard to get ones yet be my luck i fall in love and have to sell a organ to buy some.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Few blends whip up the emotions like Esoterica.

In the audio world...McIntosh loyalist..They just found out some New gear is assembled in China :crying:
If this is a New drop from Germain's..I will be posting once I find some.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
If you haven't tried Esoterica your not missing much. I have three pounds of it umsmoked. Its about 4 years old now. I think ill just let it sit in my cellar to rot.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I believe that some of the hysteria is subsiding. Bags are sitting on store shelves for quite awhile now. Yes, Penzance and Stonehaven never last, but very excellent varieties are often available at retail.
I, for one, have enough in my cellar. In the next week or so, I expect a call from the manager of the store where I smoke and rent a humidor locker telling me that the Esoterica shipment has arrived and that I can buy whatever I like. For the first time, my reply will be, "Thanks very much, but I have enough already." That goes for all the blends, including the Big Two. I'm going to leave them for someone else who, hopefully, will feel like they've hit the Lotto and get to experience either Nirvana or,sadly, disappointment.
As for current prices, it offends me when retailers charge exhorbitant prices. I will not patronize shops that do that. But in the aftermarket resale world, it's pure and simple supply and demand. Price too high? Don't buy it and if enough do the same, the price will drop. On the other hand, if you're willing and able to pay more than I was willing to pay for something I've left on the table, good on ya.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Another Email alert for a known site yesterday(took 1day to sell out)...Now I am looking at the places most know

to us as to start the New Year Esoterica drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.