PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandybuck

Lurker
Dec 23, 2019
Pensacola, Florida
I have the opportunity to grab a tin of Tilbury and Dunbar at the local cigar shop in Pensacola Fl and, having not yet tried either, was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were on these blends and any experiences with Esoterica in general. I grabbed a tin each of Rattray's Old Gowrie and C&D Haunted Bookshop, both of which I'm currently smoking and absolutely adore! So, what do y'all think?

Brandybuck

Lurker
Dec 23, 2019
Pensacola, Florida
The only one I've tried is Pembroke, LOVE it! I generally get all my bacy local, and wont order just to try something. Pembroke was introduced to me at one of the AZ pipe club meetings and I loved it so much the guy sold me a tin.

I've been super interested in trying Pembroke and Stonehaven, though I know those aren't the easiest to get ahold of.

Brandybuck

Lurker
Dec 23, 2019
Pensacola, Florida
Pembroke and Margate can be found online right now with a little digging. The site TurboTin may be able to help you out if you are looking.

My favorites are Dunbar, Tilbury, and Margate, followed closely by Penzance.

Thanks for the tip on TurboTin; haven't gotten into alot of online sites outside of PipesandCigars or SmokingPipes, but I will definitely check that one out.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Tilbury is by far my favorite. I have about 8 pounds put back and always buy more when I have a chance.
Dunbar is a very good VaPer. I prefer it over Dorchester.

Brighton/Cardiff/Peacehaven/ScarboroughAre all similar Virginia’s with varying degrees of sweetness added. I like all of them fine.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've only had three of them. Penzance, Stonehaven and ASTB. I was a bit surprised by the latter two as they were heavier with added flavoring than I expected. That's not necessarily a bad thing and I enjoy all three. They're just a bit strange based on my fairly limited experience.

I know it's cliche, but so far Penzance is my favorite. Each time I smoke it, I appreciate it a bit more. That said, if I was somehow prevented from ever buying more, I wouldn't feel deprived given all the wonderful Latakia blends out there. Certainly worth getting email alerts set up and buying when possible, but you won't be seeing me pay any real markup on it from the re-sellers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Many of Esoterica's blends have a topping.
Having tried near every Esoterica blend, I can say that the accusations of a “topping” are much overdone. There‘s not a single one that I’d really call an aromatic. Ramsgate, Blackpool and Kingsbridge are the closest to being aromatics, but have little sweetness and their flavors aren’t strong. All the flavorings are quite restrained.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Many of Esoterica's blends have a topping.
That's what I assumed, but I just used the generic flavoring to account for casings as well. ASTB has quite a heavy dose (supposedly ale, but I get fruit too) and from what I can tell Stonehaven has its share (of treacle, supoosedly, whatever that is) as well. Not a problem for me since I have no tobacco puritanism in me. I also wouldn't describe either as an aromatic. Just blends with toppings.

Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.