PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Stonehaven - my alltime favorite blend. I think it's the best execution of a traditional UK sweetened dark flake, and there's simply nothing else out there that can match it. I only wish that Germain could meet the market demand, as well as offer it in tins.
Peacehaven - another unique flake which has no match, this one is a honey brown with a rather odd flavor profile, it was a slow starter but then grew on me greatly.
Hastings - a non-aro aro? If they exist, this is it. Yet another very traditional UK flavor, in a shaggy cut, Va. w/ sweetened black cavendish. really good stuff. Only drawback is the soft cake it leaves, I think the cav. is the reason it does?
Blackpool - Another execution of the traditional UK dark flake, easy slow smoking, mellow deep and dark - I'd like it more if it was stronger, but fits the bill perfectly when the mood strikes.
Tilbury - a sort of nutty shaggy superweed, smokes like a dream and has a good kick. I greatly prefer the tinned to the bulk bag, a quite noticeable difference exists to my palate.
I've only tried Penzance from a generous sample (thanks Pitchfork) and I liked it very well,

but the chase trying to find it is a hassle and I refuse to pay extortionist prices!
Margate is one I got lined up next for trying, from the sound of it, I'll be adding some Va. to it!
btw

...here's a thread about the origins of Esoterica, it's a fun read...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/esoterica-tobacciana-a-history
I also had to verify the origins and did so here in Ask G.L. Pease Vol. 23:
From Troy: I was hoping you may be able to lift the fog on the origins of Esoterica Tobacciana? The blends have achieved mythic status yet their exact history seems to be elusive. I have read that the blends were made by J.F. Germain at the request of Stephen Richman, who also happened to be the proprietor of Drucquer’s Piedmont location. Was it actually Mr. Stephen Richman who developed the recipes for the Esoterica line?
A: The Esoterica Tobacciana brand was, in fact, Steve’s brainchild. He started the company in 1988, getting a boatload of samples from Germain, from which Steve, I, and a couple others, evaluated blends for inclusion in the Esoterica range. Somewhere, I still have pages and pages of notes I took during the tasting process. It was quite eye-opening. Steve later sold the brand to Mike Butera, who continues to import and distribute the range. As a point of clarification, Steve was not the proprietor of the Drucuqer store, but managed it. After the owner closed the shop, Steve moved to the Berkeley store for a while before opening his own shop, The Piedmont Tobacconist, around the corner from the old Drucquer location, and still in operation. If you’re ever in Oakland, stop by to check it out.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Stonehaven. I can taste it in high winds. It hs more nic so I don't have to smoke as much out hunting. It tastes natural. It stays lit without relighting. The cut is fine so burning chunks don't fly out and start wildfires.

Guys, quit buying it so I can get me some.

They're all good. Haven't had Brighton(rubbed out Peacehaven?), St Ives or Hastings.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
And So To Bed and Penzance are in my rotation, have not yet tried the others.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I've only tried Dorchester, I ration it very sparingly. I can't seem to find a retailer that has any in stock to try any others. I keep searching, but so is everyone else. I'll have to offer a cash reward to anyone who can put me onto some Eso.
EDIT: I just noticed 4Noggins has Stonehaven on consignment at $100/8oz. Wow, must be pure gold.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got a pound or 2 of Penzance in mason jars. The stuff is great.
I've still got some stonehaven but gave a half a pound away as I'm not that crazy about it. I think that's disgusting that someone's trying to sell it for $100 for 8oz.
Dunbar is pretty good.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Pembroke. I enjoy the combination of spirits and tobacco: Pembroke is a spectacular blend of Esoterica's Margate with Cognac.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Penzance, naturally. :mrgreen:
And So To Bed has that Apricot/Peach flavor to it.
Stonehaven.....ahhh, so-so, never could quite sink my teeth into it.
Overall, if I had to pick only one company to buy tobacco from it would be this one. Unique flavors for sure.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I've only tried Penzance thus far. It was stupendous. I have 8 oz now, with little hope of getting more without a second mortgage.
I should have jumped on the Stonehaven samples from Briar bid. I now take note whenever I see ANY esoterica available, but am not really in a position financially to run around paying $28-35 on a gamble when there are so many tobaccos that are super good that I know I like.
Nevertheless, the Dunbar, Dorchester, And So to Bed and Tilbury look interesting.
Has anyone tried Ramsgate?

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
With a little legwork this morning I was able to score 2 / 8 oz bags each of Pembroke and Tilbury. Can't wait to get them in. What a great way to start my day off!

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Penzance and Dunbar. I have a sealed bag of Margate that I'm lookig forward to trying in the future. I tried it years ago and didn't care for it but want to give it another shot since my tastes have evolved over the years.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Question for those with the 8 oz bags - how long are those good for? I generally transfer most of my cellar to mason jars.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
So far, I've only had the pleasure of smoking Margate, Stonehaven and Penzance.
I enjoyed all of them. Stonehaven surprised me for its fruit notes, and deep, dark, plum sweetness. I liked Penzance, and would happily smoke it again. But my favourite of the three was Margate, I loved the punch that the orientals added to the front note of latakia.
-- Pat

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mrjerke, the bags should be good for years if there are no pin hole leaks. I store a bunch of my 8 oz Stonehaven bags in plastic containers that have a very good seal. I do have a bunch of jarred as well, I really have no more room for my jars so I am keeping a dozen of so bags as they are.
The only blend from Esoterica I cellar is Stonehaven. I have tried Dorchester and Dunbar and did enjoy the flavors, but I no longer smoke anything that is not a flake so they are not part of my rotation. When I did smoke English blends Penzance was a favorite, it is a unique high quality smoke. Back in the day, tins were 5 bucks and you could buy them all day long. If it were not for Hobie, there would be no world wide shortage, you can all thank him.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
None... :lol: I have yet to find any blend in stock when the budget allows for some TAD. Maybe someday I'll have a favorite. Once I had a chance to buy some Penzance and it literally sold out before I could confirm my order. Then I found some on ebay the next day for 4 times the price as the starting bid. It must be very good indeed.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
teufelhund, Penzance and Stonehaven can be had if you are willing to make phone calls. I find it by calling small mom and pop tobacconists with little to no web presence in the low tax states. Last December I had no Stonehaven in stock and when I quit buying it a couple of months ago, I ended up with 14 pounds in my cellar. It takes some work, but I don't consider making phone calls real work. Working construction for 2 bucks an hour like I did when I was 16 was real work. lol

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
A very generous member mailed me a sample of Penzance. Unfortunately I like it and now have the Challenge of hunting some more down

Status
Not open for further replies.