PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I have had the Penzance on several occasions, but that is the only offering from Esoterica I have tried. Thankfully I have a couple of jars left. I was searching for a bag of stonehaven, and I'm sure this comes as no surpise. I've turned up empty handed. So my question is this. Has hype just spun its sales through the roof, and for comparable money can I get as good a tobacco? Or is it worth tracking a bag down? I did find 1 place with it in stock, but at $100 for an 8oz bag.

B

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I did forget that I received a sample of Dorchester from Roth that was excellent. So penzance and Dorchester are their only offerings I've had thus far.

B

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I received a sample of Stonehaven from Captainsousie not long ago and smoked my first bowl last night. Definitely a good tobacco. Pretty complex flavor profile for me, there were a lot of subtle things happening that I am still not experienced enough to put into proper words. Also, I'm a bit weak when it comes to nicotine and it made me have to lay down on the couch for a while after a full bowl. All things considered, I'd smoke it again but I wouldn't put forth too much effort into hunting it down.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
$100 for an 8oz bag is more than triple its general retail price.

There are so many good Va flakes out there, I wouldn't pay through the nose for Stonehaven.

Dec 24, 2012
I really like the stuff, but there is an awful problem of supply not meeting demand. I wish esoterica would raise the price to $50 or $60 - this should reduce demand and the stuff may be easier to get. They are leaving an awful lot of money on the table by not doing so.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with Cortezattic, and strongly disagree with Peckinpahombre. With your logic, only the high rollers would be able to afford it, and the regular pipe smokers would be SOL. That might work for you, but not for most of the rest of us. And once the monied buyers have their stock supplied, the sales would go down because the regular fellow can't afford it once it's more available. In the long run, I think your idea does more harm than good to the company, though it would suit your needs rather nicely. Personally, I find it refreshing to purchase product from a company that puts quality for all over quantity for the well heeled.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Well then if I get the chance I'll definately pick up a bag. But i wouldn't dream of paying $100 for it. I also find honor in a company who's product is sought after and will keep quality over quantity, and also doesn't charge more for it.

B

Dec 24, 2012
I am doing quite fine as it is - picked up 6 bags of Stonehaven in the last week alone. Just pointing out that they are leaving a ton of money on the table. That much should be obvious to anyone.
* Now this is odd - a Canuck preaching market economics to a bunch of Yanks. Have I stumbled upon a Communist Pipe Forum? :rofl:

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I wish I had a good pipe store close, the closest one I know that is decent is about 5 hours from me. There was one shop I went to some about 2.5 hours away that would have bulk penzance, but not any more.

B

Dec 24, 2012
And once the monied buyers have their stock supplied, the sales would go down because the regular fellow can't afford it once it's more available.
And when that happens you adjust pricing again until supply meets demand. I feel like I'm teaching Business 101 here.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Peck said "And when that happens you adjust pricing again until supply meets demand. I feel like I'm teaching Business 101 here."
I wouldn't have you as my 101 teacher, because I'd fail in the real world. Companies almost never raise prices and then decrease them. In fact, when product orders decrease, companies usually raise their prices to make up for the lack of demand, thus charging more for individual items to keep a viable profit margin going. THAT is Business 101 in the real world.
Customer loyalty is something you can't buy. You earn it by charging a fair price for a good product.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I also love Silver Flake and smoke it a lot but I would not consider it better, just different than Stonehaven. Tastes are so subjective that calling one tobacco better than another only works for that one individuals tastes.
I love Stonehaven and it is in my top 3 Vabur flakes with Silver Flake and Old Dark Fired. It has a very unique flavor in comparison to my other favorites although it is closest to Old Dark Fired. As far is it being hard to find, yes it is if you are only going to use the major on line retailers. If you want to make a few calls it is not that difficult and for me I don't mind chasing one of my favorites. Of course there are plenty of other great flakes out there that are easy to get if you are not into chasing. I have 2 of my favorites that in the last 5 months are way more difficult to get than Stonehaven.
I have seen the bags going for over 100 on ebay and I know I would never pay it. My last bags were 35.00 which is about the going rate.

Dec 24, 2012
Jim, I would never teach you because, based on your comments here at least, you would never make the cut where I teach. Companies adjust prices all the time based on supply and demand, particularly for a consumer product like this. The extent to which they can raise prices and get away with it is purely a function of the price elasticity of demand for their product.
And a fair price is a market price.

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
Its a tobacco, it should not be sold based upon the have vs the have not's, a realistic price is fair and the only way to maintain longevity in business, not the get rich today, screw them all and retire rich tomorrow kind of thinking that has ruined so much of this country over the decades.

Raising prices ruins the market, and ruins sales in the long term.

But many of the rich folk don't care about anyone or anything but money, screw you, pay me, is their philosophy of life.

So if you can't afford it anymore, too bad..

Truly a shame some can be like that.

Fair prices and a fair market are not communism, just good business sense if you want to stay in business for very long

Status
Not open for further replies.