PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
There are a couple of blends that I am trying to stockpile in the cellar. I have accumulated enough Dunbar, but would like another couple of pounds of Stonehaven. Prices are stupid high right now at around 25$ an oz on fleabay. PS sells out in seconds. + I don't like spending money if I do not have to.
I check the websites daily, part of my routine these days.
For those of you who have been around for a while, and seen these production/availability ups and downs, do I have to pay Fleabay prices in order not to get shut out? or am I good waiting until product is re-stocked?
I am ASSuming that I have around 2 years before Armageddon really sets in.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This question has been asked and answered many times and the answer is always the same.
Start calling B&Ms with no internet presence. Doesn't matter if they're close, far, or across the country from you. The major online sites get wiped out in less than the blink of an eye. Looking at websites is all well and good, but you're still conducting a very small search with a very small window of opportunity. Plus, some, like 4noggins, never list that they have Esoterica blends in stock. You have to know them well enough to know to call them. So either find B&Ms, start being a regular customer and establishing a relationship on that basis (ie you don't try to cherry pick Esoterica because if you do, they likely won't tell you if they have it when they do), or bend over and take it from eBay gougers.
There's plenty out there in the wild for those willing to take the effort to find it. That's the way I assembled my nearly 30 lbs of the few Esoterica blends I like to smoke, and I didn't pay scalpers prices for any of it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There's plenty out there in the wild for those willing to take the effort to find it. That's the way I assembled my nearly 30 lbs of the few Esoterica blends I like to smoke, and I didn't pay scalpers prices for any of it.
+1

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Stonehaven is the only Esoterica I've never seen in stock, online or anywhere. I've received some in a trade. To each his own, but have you tried Solani ABF or the new HH line of burley flake. I prefer both to Stonehaven.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
My sense is that production has picked up. We're seeing more regular, though smaller drops this year. B&Ms that carry it in my area sometimes have had some of the varieties apart from the Big Two for weeks before they disappear. For now, forget online purchases. It's pretty much impossible unless you're checking the site within minutes of it becoming available. I've seen drops bring websites to their knees. At smokingpipes, you have to check out IMMEDIATELY, or it will be out of stock when you check out.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Gentleman, I thank you. My apologies for asking a repetitive question. I tried to use the search function...and obviously failed.
I made a few calls B&M's that I have bought a bunch of cigars from. They are going to give it their best shot. I've have kind of a personal $25 limit of what I'll pay for any 50g of 'baccy.
I have tried the ABF, and am sitting on some cans now. Just have not done a deep dive on it yet.

Oct 7, 2016
My sense is that production has picked up. We're seeing more regular, though smaller drops this year. B&Ms that carry it in my area sometimes have had some of the varieties apart from the Big Two for weeks before they disappear.
+1. Germain must have come up with a magic elixir to get the production they are getting from the handful of arthritic old timers they employ.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
I checked my alert status at SP for Penzance and Stonehaven and I am numbers 2652 and 2440 respectively so I am pretty sure I'll never taste either of these. Glad there are plenty of other bends to keep me going!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Excellent advice above!
I found Penzance unremarkable but I have one remaining tin.
I think Stonehaven would be more appealing for me but only at regular retail prices.
By the way, in case you plan on cellaring these, I have found Germain rectangular tins to be completely unreliable. I have had them rust through to the outside by 10 years and also rust out completely on the inside several times during the same time frame.
I only have one tin each of Penzance and Kingfisher left - based on what I've seen from tins of the same age, either could be in unsmokeable condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.