PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Today I cracked open a tin of Esoterica Pembroke from Dec 2019 that has been sitting on the shelf. I immediately got a nice whiff of cognac, and a really delicious smelling mix of incense and raisins. It was a little moist, but not overly so, squeezing a pinch of it caused the tobacco to clump a little, but no moisture or staining on my fingers.
I pulled out a bit for the pipe, and jarred the rest to go into my rotation.
After letting it dry for about 10 minutes, I loaded up. I usually prepare flakes or crumbles, so the shag is kind of a nice change. I just gave it the old finger pressure then draw test, and fired it up!
IMG_20201111_143933055.jpg
In the first half of the bowl it gave me a sweet mildness. The tobaccos come through without a ton of the cognac, I got some of the virginia hay, and a mild amount of spiciness cropped up every often that was great contrast.
Every so often, I got a little bit of a savory taste too, but it's difficult to describe. Almost like how pear juice always makes other fruit taste good but can be hard to identify, this flavor has a savoriness that definitely is savory, but is hard to nail down. Kind of a saltiness in the back of my nostrils, if that makes sense.
In the second part of the bowl, I got a few strong cognac puffs, but nothing became particularly dominant. It was very much a balancing act the whole time. Once or twice I got a hint of dark chocolate, with a raisiny touch to it.

All in all, I've found in the first bowl, that Pembroke is really well balanced, it's relatively mild, it stayed lit pretty well, (a total of three matches for the whole smoke). I probably could have let it dry a bit more and gotten away with two matches. When I finished up and dumped the bowl, there was only a tiny bit of dottle in the bottom, and not wet at all. I didn't have any issues with gurgle, no bite. All in all, I'm well satisfied with this blend. It's smooth and delicious, a great afternoon smoke with a lot of nuance.

Status
Not open for further replies.