PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Gents, I love Texas for many reasons, but by George the humidity is not always one of them, especially for my tobacco.
So I got a bag of Dunbar over the summer and opened it up, and put it in 4 jars immediately. It was pretty moist on opening, had a unique aroma, but I thought it was just the apricot topping mentioned in other descriptions. There were a few questionable pieces of tobacco that looked odd, but it was Esoterica and I thought maybe unique to them.
So I smoked this a few times as noted in some of my other posts, and every time I got a tongue burn like none other the next day. I put it aside for about a month and today I went to grab it to try again for the Christmas weekend. Lo and behold mold in jar one. Careful inspections of jars 2 and 3 and there is potential of mold, but not hairy yet. Quick google search shows I am not the only one to experience this.
Questions, should I have dried this a bit before jarring? And should I hold onto the other jars and see what happens or consider it a loss and dump them? And I’m thinking this could explain the tongue sensation the next day as well.
And happy ending, I decided to open a tin of FT CVP and it is delicious. Makes me not miss that Dunbar a bit.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dry down before jarring? In the case of every Esoterica I've had, yes, and, especially as you live in a humid climate, it will take some time and effort. (RH of 90% and more have been the usual readings for freshly opened bags)
Can you post a photo or two of the mold? And how long ago were they jarred? Heat in storage location?

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
20181221_073222.jpg

My jarred date is 9/10/18. I believe purchase was in August.
I have a cigar humidor hygrometer. Should I drop it in a larger bag with the tobacco and wait for 10-15% humidity before jarring?
And honestly, when I think about it, there may have been some moldy pieces of tobacco right out of the bag. I wish I took a more pictures of the questionable ones. I'll open jar 2 and see if I can find some that I am looking for.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
These are in my bedroom in a cabinet. Over the summer it may get to 76-78, and cold 68 (as it is right now).

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
unnamed.jpg

Here is Jar 3. You can tell from the flash it looks kinda crystalline, which so did the first jar. I think I opened that first jar 4 weeks ago, then it went back in the tub until today.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a cigar humidor hygrometer. Should I drop it in a larger bag with the tobacco and wait for 10-15% humidity before jarring?
I'd dry it down, yes, but you don't want to go below about 60% RH. (10-15% would be a range of moisture content, and is difficult for us non-com men to measure as the equipment is expensive.
And, yeah, that is definitely mold. Or mould if in the U.K.!

Status
Not open for further replies.