PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
I ordered Dunbar and it should be arriving shortly. Through my reading on this forum, I have come to the understanding that Virginias/VaPers benefit from aging. I seem to remember reading that Dunbar should be smoked when new. Am I remembering correctly? If so, is what I read correct, and it should be smoked when fresh? I'm new to this, as you probably have detected and would appreciate any suggestions.

Reactions: lightmybriar

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Word, Dunbar is one of my favorite blends and I've never had it aged! I'm sure it will improve with time, but it's wonderful fresh!

I would recommend some dry time though. How much is subjective based on your preferences and climate, I tend to dry mine until when pinching it doesn't clump or stick together at all it just gently falls apart from its self but doesn't turn to dust.

Happy smoking! I hope you really enjoy that tobacco!

Reactions: wordheavy

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
Word, Dunbar is one of my favorite blends and I've never had it aged! I'm sure it will improve with time, but it's wonderful fresh!

I would recommend some dry time though. How much is subjective based on your preferences and climate, I tend to dry mine until when pinching it doesn't clump or stick together at all it just gently falls apart from its self but doesn't turn to dust.

Happy smoking! I hope you really enjoy that tobacco!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I will try it fresh, after some drying time. I'm glad to hear it's a favorite of yours. I can't wait to give it a go.

Reactions: lightxmyfire

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dunbar is one of my favorite smokes. It's already aged by Germain's before it's released for sale, so it's actually ready to be enjoyed when you get it. Further aging will change its balance slightly, Whether you find that change an improvement is up to you.
Definitely dry it before smoking. Many British blends come extra moist in the tin and need drying out to get the most flavor. I dry Dunbar to just shy of bone dry, not crumbly dry but dry to the touch when squeezed, and starting to get a little stiff.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I think there are a few things to consider:

(1) there's a belief that perique is especially bacteria-rich and, having already been fermented, enhances the aging of virginias.

(2) that there is debated report of a slight fruity- apricot or citrus topping on Dunbar that fades very quickly when laid aside to age.

I don't have much to say, and feel we've already given the goods in practical wisdom, but I wanted to bring up these points for discussion if anyone wants to add anything to them.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
Dunbar is one of my favorite smokes. It's already aged by Germain's before it's released for sale, so it's actually ready to be enjoyed when you get it. Further aging will change its balance slightly, Whether you find that change an improvement is up to you.
Definitely dry it before smoking. Many British blends come extra moist in the tin and need drying out to get the most flavor. I dry Dunbar to just shy of bone dry, not crumbly dry but dry to the touch when squeezed, and starting to get a little stiff.

I'm glad I asked about aging, I didn't want to have to wait to smoke it anyway. It seems to me that trying it fresh may give more of the blenders intended flavor experience. I didn't know about the extra moisture and I will follow your method for drying. Much appreciate the response.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All of the Germain's I've tried come in at a relative humidity of over 90% @ 70º. Dunhills in the mid 80's. So, much drying time may be indicated, down to about 60% RH if you can.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
I think there are a few things to consider:

(1) there's a belief that perique is especially bacteria-rich and, having already been fermented, enhances the aging of virginias.

(2) that there is debated report of a slight fruity- apricot or citrus topping on Dunbar that fades very quickly when laid aside to age.

I don't have much to say, and feel we've already given the goods in practical wisdom, but I wanted to bring up these points for discussion if anyone wants to add anything to them.

Very interesting, didn't know of the topping debate or the perique.

Reactions: lightmybriar

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
DUNBAR. The Blend of the Lord is with you. And also with me.

Give it a try. You likely won't have to worry about aging it after you taste it :)

That being said Dunbar is one of the few blends I have cellared deeply (nearly a lb, which for me is an immense amount). That is not necessarily out of the desire to try it with age on it, but more of a desire to make sure that I die before I run out.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area

I can attest to the toppings existence, it’s one of things I love about Dunbar, to me it tastes like a warm croissant with apricot jelly when I get it going good. No clue about it disappearing with age, haven’t had any open/in a jar for longer than a few months and I hadn’t noticed it diminishing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.