PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When demand outstrips supply, not everyone can get what they want.
  • If they sell it “first come, first served”, then people who weren’t obsessively checking for supply or connected to a retailer are excluded.
  • If they price it so it stays in stock until they can replenish it, then people without the money to buy it are excluded.
  • If they make it a lottery, then everyone puts their name in the hat and it’s luck that determines who is excluded.
  • If they take preorders, then those without several years to wait their turn are excluded.
I’ve seen companies try it all, and they all generate complaints from those who are excluded. And when demand outstrips supply, someone is always excluded.
There is no perfect solution, so do the best that you can. Someone will always complain, regardless. It's what we do.

I decided that prominent online stores were too much of a hassle for acquiring Unicorns, so I developed my own sources. Now, I've got a lifetime supply of my favorite Eso blends without much more trouble than making a phone call, having a couple of very pleasant conversations with the proprietors (virtual pickle barrel) about all kinds of subject matter, and placing my order.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We’re moving in 2 months. I’m just waiting for my wife to see all my tobacco in one place. ?
You're just not looking hard enough, she's got to have a hobby that's equally excessive looking to an outsider. Or and this one's more of a next time thing. Getting a habit for some type of hard drug clean up and after that she'll just be happy it's not crack. Or you could just bite the bullet put most of it in one really big box then casually ask her if you got a few more big boxes for your stash. I personally suggest the last one.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
There is no magic bullet or quick fix to attaining the “holiest of holies” when it comes to scoring.

Back in my day...?. When I started out “gold mining”, I had to do what every other fella had to do...make those calls. Some shop owners would get pissed at ya calling and blow ya off, some would spend the time and talk to ya even recognizing that your area code was no where close to there’s on the map. I’d go a year or more without landing anything...always a day late so to speak. ?‍♂️ Gradually then, I developed my of sources, whittled it down over time...adding some, subtracting others. All the while I was developing relationships with the ones I got lucky enough to snag a tin or bag with. I’d also, call and patron, at least once a year, a source just to buy something completely outside of the Germain’s/Esoterica library.

After a while you get to know drop cycles, develop those relationships, and occasionally strike a rich vein. This literally took a few years.? I’d also connected with community members and we let each other aware of the whereabouts of the fabled Jersey ?... just after we’d snag what was required for ourselves of course. I don’t mind saying I eventually got pretty good at tracking down what I wanted with little problem, and if I didn’t get what I was looking for... oh well, there is always the next drop.?‍♂️

Over time you realize, it’s really the “gold mining” or the hunt that was the most fun. Sure, you get a touch irritated when you don’t score. But, that’s part of the ride on anything that is limited in production and super sought after. It eventually gets to a point where you need not search and realize it’s time to let others snag that bag of Stonehaven or Penzance that you no longer have to have...but always know is there.

Don’t bitch! Appreciate the ride, do your ?, get ?, develop those relationships with the B&Ms and you too will eventually look at your library of gold ...laugh and wonder what the hell am I gonna do with all this shit. ?

Good luck & happy hunting!??☕

Last edited:

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
There is no magic bullet or quick fix to attaining the “holiest of holies” when it comes to scoring.

Back in my day...?. When I started out “gold mining”, I had to do what every other fella had to do...make those calls. Some shop owners would get pissed at ya calling and blow ya off, some would spend the time and talk to ya even recognizing that your area code was no where close to there’s on the map. I’d go a year or more without landing anything...always a day late so to speak. ?‍♂️ Gradually then, I developed my of sources, whittled it down over time...adding some, subtracting others. All the while I was developing relationships with the ones I got lucky enough to snag a tin or bag with. I’d also, call and patron, at least once a year, a source just to buy something completely outside of the Germain’s/Esoterica library.

After a while you get to know drop cycles, develop those relationships, and occasionally strike a rich vein. This literally took a few years.? I’d also connected with community members and we let each other aware of the whereabouts of the fabled Jersey ?... just after we’d snag what was required for ourselves of course. I don’t mind saying I eventually got pretty good at tracking down what I wanted with little problem, and if I didn’t get what I was looking for... oh well, there is always the next drop.?‍♂️

Over time you realize, it’s really the “gold mining” or the hunt that was the most fun. Sure, you get a touch irritated when you don’t score. But, that’s part of the ride on anything that is limited in production and super sought after. It eventually gets to a point where you need not search and realize it’s time to let others snag that bag of Stonehaven or Penzance that you no longer have to have...but always know is there.

Don’t bitch! Appreciate the ride, do your ?, get ?, develop those relationships with the B&Ms and you too will eventually look at your library of gold ...laugh and wonder what the hell am I gonna do with all this shit. ?

Good luck & happy hunting!??☕

This is a great response to this thread and it mirrors my experience perfectly. Well done!

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
When demand outstrips supply, not everyone can get what they want.
  • If they sell it “first come, first served”, then people who weren’t obsessively checking for supply or connected to a retailer are excluded.
  • If they price it so it stays in stock until they can replenish it, then people without the money to buy it are excluded.
  • If they make it a lottery, then everyone puts their name in the hat and it’s luck that determines who is excluded.
  • If they take preorders, then those without several years to wait their turn are excluded.
I’ve seen companies try it all, and they all generate complaints from those who are excluded. And when demand outstrips supply, someone is always excluded.
Increase supply to meet demand is the traditional solution. Or increase price if supply is fixed. Either one of the two is acceptable to align demand and supply. Problem solved, easy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Or increase price if supply is fixed.

Riiiiight......?

Oct 7, 2016
Increase supply to meet demand is the traditional solution. Or increase price if supply is fixed. Either one of the two is acceptable to align demand and supply. Problem solved, easy.
As to increasing supply, Esoterica is made for Arango, and Arango only, under contract. Germain may or may not find that it makes sense for them to increase the amount they are willing to make for Arango, at the price called for in the contract, or any other price within reason Arango is primarily a cigar outfit. They may or may not have even asked Germain if they could make more for them.

As for price, there is a limit as to what US customers will pay unless they are flipping. At $35 per bag, Smoking Pipes price, I think seriously about whether a box of SG isn’t at least as good a deal. And I can buy a box of Bob’s Chocolate, which is 2 bags plus of Esoterica, for less than $60 shipped if I buy 2, which I know is a better deal.

The “real” price on Esoterica in the secondary market is set in China. As long as there is a premium to be made, scalpers will scalp. If the demand in China decreases, and Arango had raised prices to eliminate the premium, they would end up with a lot of over priced Esoterica on their hands.

So, for Arango, it might make sense to settle for a very good wholesale price, provide shops with an item that is guaranteed to sell out, incentivize shops to order more pipes and cigars if they want more Esoterica, let the aftermarket set it’s own prices, and go on about your main business. Which is cigars.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As to increasing supply, Esoterica is made for Arango, and Arango only, under contract. Germain may or may not find that it makes sense for them to increase the amount they are willing to make for Arango, at the price called for in the contract, or any other price within reason Arango is primarily a cigar outfit. They may or may not have even asked Germain if they could make more for them.

As for price, there is a limit as to what US customers will pay unless they are flipping. At $35 per bag, Smoking Pipes price, I think seriously about whether a box of SG isn’t at least as good a deal. And I can buy a box of Bob’s Chocolate, which is 2 bags plus of Esoterica, for less than $60 shipped if I buy 2, which I know is a better deal.

The “real” price on Esoterica in the secondary market is set in China. As long as there is a premium to be made, scalpers will scalp. If the demand in China decreases, and Arango had raised prices to eliminate the premium, they would end up with a lot of over priced Esoterica on their hands.

So, for Arango, it might make sense to settle for a very good wholesale price, provide shops with an item that is guaranteed to sell out, incentivize shops to order more pipes and cigars if they want more Esoterica, let the aftermarket set it’s own prices, and go on about your main business. Which is cigars.
Bingo, plus the feigned lack of availability is overshadowed by B&M supply that is gathering dust from the last few drops.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Riiiiight......?

An epic thread from bygone days for sure.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I got an email alert from SP on King Charles by German at 12:01 PM. I had my browser open to the Penzance bags, had already logged into my account, hit refresh, not in stock, so I went to Peacehaven, in stock, ordered, confirmation at 12:03. I just checked, shipped with tracking number.
Smokingpipes is one of the most predictable sites out there on timing of drops of HTF things that they get from other distributors. Others have there own patterns. Some don’t. You don’t need a bot or call around B&M’s and pay their prices or have a track record as a favored customer to score Esoterica. Though those methods will work.
I successfully ordered a bag of Peacehaven from Smoking Pipes . At the end of the day they emailed and said they oversold . Ah well it happens ! It’s just tobacco