PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Cardiff, Brighton, one other Eso, and Germain's Medium Flake are all different cuts of the same (to my tastes, anyways) very citrusy bright virginias.

If that's a flavor you like, it's pretty much just that top to bottom.

Reactions: FurCoat

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Esoterica Virginias are largely aromatics, or some would say semi-aromatics in a traditional British fashion. The toppings are mostly fruit based, such as apricot, mango, etc, with a bit of anise added into some of them. Cardiff has a bit of mango, IIRC, and I was initially put off by it, but after smoking a few bowls found myself enjoying it immensely. That's one that I stock.
There's not a hell of a lot of advantage to aging these. They're already aged prior to release, and are ready to enjoy. Topping will mute a littel over time and the Virginias may deepen a little, but the change isn't going to be profound. Germain's doesn't release green tobaccos.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Esoterica Virginias are largely aromatics, or some would say semi-aromatics in a traditional British fashion. The toppings are mostly fruit based, such as apricot, mango, etc, with a bit of anise added into some of them. Cardiff has a bit of mango, IIRC, and I was initially put off by it, but after smoking a few bowls found myself enjoying it immensely. That's one that I stock.
There's not a hell of a lot of advantage to aging these. They're already aged prior to release, and are ready to enjoy. Topping will mute a littel over time and the Virginias may deepen a little, but the change isn't going to be profound. Germain's doesn't release green tobaccos.
mango and tobacco goes together great.

The Esoterica Virginias are largely aromatics, or some would say semi-aromatics in a traditional British fashion.
This is what blows my mind. Almost all of the Esotericas are heavily cased with either that odd fruit or licorice. And, didn't Greg Pease have something to do with these? And, he was all about not using strong casings... well... he used to be. Then he has an opportunity to use Virginias outside of just what C&D has on hand... and it's cased in fruity stuff. Just seems odd.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@cosmicfolklore Greg was one of the crash test dummies for the Esoterica Line, tasting and giving recommendations to Steve Richman, who commissioned the line from Germain's. These blends originally came from Germain's catalog of "private label" blends that they had created over the years for other clients. Richman ordered changes based on his group's recommendations and his own preferences.

@cosmicfolklore Greg was one of the crash test dummies for the Esoterica Line, tasting and giving recommendations to Steve Richman, who commissioned the line from Germain's. These blends originally came from Germain's catalog of "private label" blends that they had created over the years for other clients. Richman ordered changes based on his group's recommendations and his own preferences.
Wow, I am always blown away with how much you know about this tobacco company. My confusion was always just hearing that "Greg Pease was involved with its creation."
Thanks for clarifying.