PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There appear to be lots of pinholes along the corners of many Esoterica bags, but fear not! They aren't holes, but where the paint/foil has come off. I've filled an empty bag of Margate full of water, and not a drop has leaked out. That doesn't prove airtightness, though, as oxygen can pass through spaces that water can't.

So, fondle your bags! Give it the old "Charmin squeeze"! If it's soft and pliable, the tobacco is plenty moist.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
There appear to be lots of pinholes along the corners of many Esoterica bags, but fear not! They aren't holes, but where the paint/foil has come off. I've filled an empty bag of Margate full of water, and not a drop has leaked out. That doesn't prove airtightness, though, as oxygen can pass through spaces that water can't.

So, fondle your bags! Give it the old "Charmin squeeze"! If it's soft and pliable, the tobacco is plenty moist.
After many a purchase I’ve never had a bag’s contents go south on me by leaving it in a drawer for future use. Not a recommendation for not applying additional measures for storage, just my experience. ☕

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Oh, good gawd. Why did you have to post that? I had the most loving, caring parents in the world. They always made sure I went to see the dentist regularly. Mine had the same set up. I can still remember the spinning pullies and ropes, and the little stainless steel cup and spit sink.

I also remember the arm rests on the chair. They were worn and discolored by all the satisfied patients gripping onto them for dear life.

My dentist did not smoke a pipe.

I was so traumatized by my visits that I did not see a dentist after I left home until I was 30 and about to lose a teeth. My then wife told me about nitrous oxide. That was the best thing she ever did for me.

I going to go curl up in a fetal position now.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
Which ties in somewhat with the aged dental chair. My first nitrous "experience" was in such a chair, administered by some frisky Norwegian college girls who "visited" the dental office in the apartment complex they were in. No more details forthcoming, so don't bother asking.

I’m reminded on a Seinfeld episode...

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
There appear to be lots of pinholes along the corners of many Esoterica bags, but fear not! They aren't holes, but where the paint/foil has come off. ......

I think we have to be careful here. If it's soft and pliable, it could because there are pinholes which have allowed air in the bag. They are vacuum packed, so a pillow-like bag is a warning sign. When you're doiing your Mr. Whipple imitation, see if you can smell tobacco or feel air movement. If so, jar 'em up! As for me, my Esoterica bags are all sealed inside laminated foil/mylar bags, just to be safe.

Yes, I've certainly seen the situation you describe, but a couple years ago, a very large percentage of my Esoterica bags were either incompletely sealed or had pinholes. I think they've resolved the sealing problem, but I haven't bought much Esoterica recently.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of my Stonehaven bags were put into cabinets that allow no sunlight. The bags just let sit year after year. I don't touch them as why would I. They are at a constant temp and humidity. I have other Esoterica bags in the same cabinet. Maybe once every couple of years I will gently pick up the bag and fire it across the house into a concrete wall. If no leaks are found, I am a happy man. So far this system has worked nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.