PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I'll begin by saying its all your fault for adding this to the Esoterica favorites thread! (Not sure who atm, but anyhow)
I picked this wonderful blend up, as indicated, because I saw more than a couple folks listing it in the thread, and my wife allowed the splurge when I'd already asked for 4oz of the #10 downing street I was out of.
After about 20 minutes dry time I packed and lit my bowl, 3/4 full in my bent briar I now believe is a billiard shape.
The orientals in it were the first thing that hit me, pleasant, fruity and spicy. The latakia was just prominent enough to give a nice smoky flavor without being too heavy. It took a while for me to recognize what I think is the Virginias in it, and even then TBH it was just the mild sweetness it adds to the blend.

All in all, I have another Esoterica favorite to add to my coveted Pembroke.

Last edited by a moderator:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Nice review. I like this one too, but I have to be in the mood for it, because the combination of flavors provided by the tobaccos and topping(s?) is so unusual to my palate. Once I settle in with the flavors I enjoy its sweetness and velvety mouthfeel quite a bit. I've never had anything quite like it

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Yeah, Plum Cake was fine stuff I do recall. Bought a few tins in my younger days. My only prob with MacBarens is they all bite my tongue something fierce. Not sure if it’s a common additive in all their blends, or what.

soviettubes

Lurker
Mar 26, 2018
Cool review. I bought an 8 oz bag each of And So To Bed and Pembroke about 6 years ago to see if like them after not having them since the early 2000’s.

I wasn’t super stoked on either of them. I smoked a couple of pipes of each and jarred em away, kind of writing them off as fancy aromatics...

Well, by chance, I got my jar of ASTB out and smoke a bowl last night. It’s was actually surprisingly good. More Latakia than I remember, too. A pretty good mild English. Gonna revisit the Pembroke this weekend now...

Funny how perceptions chang over time like that.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Yeah, Plum Cake was fine stuff I do recall. Bought a few tins in my younger days. My only prob with MacBarens is they all bite my tongue something fierce. Not sure if it’s a common additive in all their blends, or what.
MB Plumcake has one of my favourite tin-notes. It's also very tasty .... but, it bites like a bitch.

Many find that a charcoal filter cures the bite. That works just ok for me.
The bite problem was solved when I used a small/medium sized meerschaum lined Dublin. Lovely stuff.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

zion

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
And So To Bed is a constant in my rotation. It’s the Royal Wulff in my fly box. It performs to my liking in my various sized and shaped pipes, is somewhat available, and just performs beautifully.

Reactions: rushx9

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
MB Plumcake has one of my favourite tin-notes. It's also very tasty .... but, it bites like a bitch.

Many find that a charcoal filter cures the bite. That works just ok for me.
The bite problem was solved when I used a small/medium sized meerschaum lined Dublin. Lovely stuff.
Actually, I too have noticed that moving to a smaller chamber pipe 2-3, max 4 has decreased my tongue bite quite a bit. There's plenty of other factors such as cadence, draw volume, and pH but having a smaller chamber was a factor to help all of them.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Actually, I too have noticed that moving to a smaller chamber pipe 2-3, max 4 has decreased my tongue bite quite a bit. There's plenty of other factors such as cadence, draw volume, and pH but having a smaller chamber was a factor to help all of them.
A smaller bowl AND the meerschaum lining.
I've yet to smoke PC in a Meerschaum pipe but I suspect that would also work if it's also a smaller bowl. I'm down to my last tin that I've put aside. Will not be able to buy it again once it's gone : (

Reactions: SpookedPiper

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
A smaller bowl AND the meerschaum lining.
I've yet to smoke PC in a Meerschaum pipe but I suspect that would also work if it's also a smaller bowl. I'm down to my last tin that I've put aside. Will not be able to buy it again once it's gone : (
PC can be a wonderful smoke but as stated it can bite.I have resorted to a Meerschaum pipe with a carbon filter that resolves it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.