PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
So I'm just about to smoke my first ever bowl of Erinmore Flake. It is said to leave a stubborn ghost.

I'm thinking if the juicy-fruit-like topping is pleasant then I probably won't mind a friendly ghost lingering around, but if its nasty I may reconsider what pipe I'm going to smoke this in.

Does anyone have any experience with the ghost Erinmore Flake leaves? Is it friendly or evil?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Thanks, I went ahead and just smoked it. It is a great smoke but the topping is pretty faint to me and quite pleasant. I think I'll just keep smoking it in the same pipe.

Damn, I really like it. I wish I had a chance to stock up when I still had access to cheap internet orders.
It’s a good blend. I don’t smoke it often, but I always have at least a tin or two put away. Some people stove it and say it’s awesome that way. Never tried that myself.

Erinmore used to be much stronger in aroma, flavor, and strength of nicotine. Then STG FUBAR'd it up. It used to have a strong urinal cake smell when you first opened the tin, but the taste didn't reflect that aroma. I also used to have to set down to smoke it, or I'd be dizzy enough to fall and hit my head... again. Now, it is nothing like it used to be. Some may like it better; some not. It is what it is.
But, I in no way think this new stuff could ghost a pipe.

I’m not an STG hater, I love a lot of their pipe blends, but they do have a knack for that behavior. I never got to taste the Murray product, but I know that the current Irish Flake is not my old K&K produced Peterson Irish Flake that I loved.
People always assume that we are all binary; love or hate. Honestly, I just think the company is OK. I just don't like a few blends that they took over and changed the recipe. They probably had to change it for some reason unbeknownst to us. Or, maybe they just don't have a tobacconist worth his salt. Who knows.
And, it is another reason why I think that people rooting for someone to buy out McClellands is a stupid idea.

But, all in all, it won't ghost a pipe, unless you area super pretty princess pipe smoker who can tell that there's a pea under their 50 mattresses. YMMV

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Is this current Irish flake milder than the one produced by K&K?
To me it seems noticeably milder, more heavily topped, and with less Kentucky presence, but I’ve heard others say that it seems the same, or that they even had the opposite experience. ?‍♂️
FWIW, I was apparently buying old stock at my local tobacconist, and wasn’t aware of the change until I popped a new tin I ordered online when I finally bought the local store’s last tin and he couldn’t get more. So no placebo thing. I immediately noticed the smell of a topping with the new tin. The old stuff just smelled like strong tobacco, and then when I lit the STG stuff, it was not the tobacco I was used to. It’s not bad, it’s a good blend and I still smoke it, but it’s not the same as the old stuff.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Though uniquely flavored I've never noticed any ghosting.
oh when I crack a tin of the stuff it ghosts my pipe. Then again that's a tin I will pretty much smoke nearly exclusively when cracked. And the ghost is super mild kind of same effect you'd get if you thought really hard about Erinmore while smoking something else.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
I just use the same pipes I use for other Virginia's and never noticed a big enough difference to stop said practice

We used to differentiate between ghosting and just a little residual flavor. Ghosting used to mean that the small/taste was stuck in a pipe and wouldn't go away. Now, I guess it means just any residual taste that can be tasted in the next bowl. If that's the case, almost everything ghosts then, and I am left not knowing what to call it when a pipe becomes tainted badly with a stronger tobacco that remains indefinitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.