PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I mention this one often but I never did a review of it. Partly because everyone's taste is different and I'm not sure there's any way to rely on someone else's review for a blend you have not smoked, unless you agree with the reviewer's other reviews of blends you have smoked.
I basically am not an aro smoker. The reasons for this are the same as most non-aro smokers: I like smoking good-quality tobacco, not bottom-grade burley camouflaged with scents and flavors; I don't like tongue-bite, and I don't like my pipes ghosted, gurgling or coated with slimy glop. So any blend labeled as an aro already has my skepticism running high.
Erik Stokkebye's 4th Generation Flake (hereafter refered to simply as 1931) is said to be burley, Virginia and a little black cavendish with some flavoring added. In the rectangular tin is a neat stack of uniform regtangular flakes of a gamut of browns from light to dark. I don't buy tobacco to sniff it raw in the tin, so frankly IDGAF what the tin note is, however I will say it's very pleasant, with none of the sour, rancid decomp smell of many non-aro blends. Some blends have tin notes so offensive to my sense of smell that I in fact have to refrain from smelling the tin note or I probably would be too queasy to want a smoke. That is not the case with 1931. Likewise it doesn't smell like the scented candle aisle at Bed Bath and Beyond, which is also a good thing to me.
I pack using the fold and stuff method, with a few crumbles on top to aide the first light. The moisture of every tin I've purchased has been perfect for me, however one should be advised to pack 1931 much looser than is intuitive, because it really expands a lot when smoked. If you pack it to the "drinking straw" drag, you will find the draw over-restricted after it's lit and burning. Pack it for a free draw and you'll be fine.
Whatever the ratio is of burley:Va:cavendish, it's right on the money. Enough burley to give it a respectable nic content and temper the tendency of Va to burn hot and bite. Enough Va to impart a natural sweetness, and enough black cavendish to give it a very nice flavor and room-note. The burley also absorbs the flavors of the Va and cavendish so those become the predominant flavors. If they labeled it simply a Va-Cavendish blend, it would take an experienced palate to detect the lie. There is just enough residual burley flavor to add complexity, but not come forward. To me that's a good thing as I prefer Va and don't really care much for the taste of burley.
Speaking more on the issue of bite, 1931 can be made to bite but it will take some over-puffing without biting. However 1931 produces copious amounts of billowy smoke with very little effort, so there really is no compulsion to puff hard. It also burns extremely slowly, so although it's expensive at over $17 a tin, you get a lot of smoking time out of it. In fact, when I first started smoking it I ended up dumping a lot of it because I was just tired of smoking and there was still a ton of it left in the bowl. I have since given to smoking it in small pipes. I can get a good 45 minute to an hour's smoke out of a Grade 2 Dunhill, which is a tiny pipe. 1931 also burns evenly all the way to the heel with no harshening or souring, and leaves no sticking mess.
The topping (probably casing is what it is) is honey. But it's subtle and sweet, and although the taste doesn't bowl you over, it also doesn't get cloying. Most aros, halfway down I'm ready to dump it and light up a straigh Va just to get the taste of natural tobacco. That natural tobacco taste is always present in 1931. It coexists with the casing, they do not fight one another for the smoker's attention.
I recently tried GL Pease's Virginia Cream, as it was touted as a very natural-tobacco aro, and while I like it on occasion, the topping is much more in-your-face predominant than 1931. Virginia Cream is more of what I might refer to as a dessert smoke, whereas 1931 could be smoked pretty much any time, or all day if you're an all-day smoker (I'm not).
In all, when asked what aro might please a non-aro smoker, or what non-aro might appeal most to an aro smoker, I would have to recommend 1931 in either case. And one final advantage to 1931 is the room note, which non-pipesmokers find pleasant. Comments are typically of the "oh I love the smell of a pipe" variety, and "it reminds me of my [fill in deceased relative]". No one has yet to give me a negative comment on the room note.

Reactions: Toast

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Fantastic review! I've got some of this in my cellar but haven't yet gotten around to opening any. Now looking forward to that day.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have never smoked straight red Virginia so I wouldn't be able to pick it out of a blend. And in fact with 1931 the components meld so well that it's almost impossible to pick their signature notes out individually during the smoke. That suits me fine, as I prefer a blend to give consistent taste from bowl to bowl and from rim to heel. Some people like a kaleidoscope of taste, I don't.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Yes. All of the above. The flakes couldn't be more perfectly cut and stacked. 3.5oz in a fairly compact tin. I bet these age really, really well. I'll know in 3-4 yrs!

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I love 1931, and your review just made me want to smoke it again :)
I never noticed the casing, though. There's definitely some sweetness there, but I'd always assumed it was the natural sweetness of the tobacco. The website also doesn't mention it. Did you read about it somewhere, or are you going by taste?

I've got some 1931 buried somewhere in this hoard. It was one of those gifted tins that I set back as soon as I saw it was an aromatic. However my wife gave me several tins of aromatics for Christmas. She asked Skip for something with a good room note. In her mind good room note means straight Virginia, being the good woman she is, listening to the PM Radio show with me for years now.

Anywho, Skip, being the stereotyping tobacconist that he is, recommended a few tins of aromatics to her. I'm still not sure if he was just pawning the stuff off on her. But, to stay on track, one of those aros was Villiger 1888 Mid-Day, which turned out to be a wonderful tobacco. The irony being that I always make fun of it being on his shelves taking away space from the "real" tobaccos, which is why I suspect foul play on Skip's intentions, ha ha.
Anyway, I need to dig out that 1931 and give it a try. What's with giving tobacco blends names after years? Some marketing *morons just need to be flogged. :puffy:

*My apologies to any morons that may be offended at my use of the word.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I never noticed the casing, though. There's definitely some sweetness there, but I'd always assumed it was the natural sweetness of the tobacco. The website also doesn't mention it. Did you read about it somewhere, or are you going by taste?
The blend itself may not be cased, but it contains black cavendish which surely is cased. From the aroma and taste it is clearly honey. I have read the latter a few times in reviews, so it's not my imagination.
What's with giving tobacco blends names after years?
In this case the years represent the birth year of Erik Stokkebye's great-grandfather (1855), the founding of their company (1882), the birth year of his grandfather (1897), father (1931), himself (1957), and the centennial of the company (1982).

In this case the years represent the birth year of Erik Stokkebye's great-grandfather (1855), the founding of their company (1882), the birth year of his grandfather (1897), father (1931), himself (1957), and the centennial of the company (1982).

Ha ha, I still think the name is stupid, but... like I care who these Stokkerbilly people are. Ha ha, it just kills me when companies name the stuff after themselves. It's so... vain.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The years tie into the "4th Generation" theme, and the perceived value customers place on businesses kept in the same family from generation to generation. Apparently they are manufactured by Mac Baren's though :D

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ha ha, I still think the name is stupid, but... like I care who these Stokkerbilly people are. Ha ha, it just kills me when companies name the stuff after themselves. It's so... vain.
Michael, you should read up on Erik's father(Peter)and his place in pipe tobacco history. Stokkebye is a name that means something, unlike other company names that don't mean much at all. I swear that the owners were drinking when they came up with some of those names!

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Definitely a light honey casing but it is not at all overwhelming and adds wonderful sweetness to the smoke. One of my favorite flakes! But I do hate the fact they use years for names--hard to keep 'em all straight.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
1931 is one that I really want to like. I love good quality flake, and 1931 certain hits that mark. I'm overly fond of 1855, but 1931 is just too sweet for me by itself. I also feel this way about Peterson's Perfect Plug, want to like it but almost cloying sweetness keeps me from enjoying it straight.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Definitely a light honey casing but it is not at all overwhelming and adds wonderful sweetness to the smoke. One of my favorite flakes! But I do hate the fact they use years for names--hard to keep 'em all straight.
I get around that because 1931 is the only one of them I smoke.
I'm overly fond of 1855, but 1931 is just too sweet for me by itself.
1855 is a straight Va. Sometimes I want a non-aro straight Va too, that's what I've got Dunhill Flake for. Sometimes I want to feel like I sprinkled pepper on my tongue, so there's DNR. Sometimes I want an English, so I've got Nightcap. And sometimes Idk what tf I want except it's got to have a kick like a mule, so then there's Royal Yacht ;)

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I remember not liking this tin the first couple of bowls. Then the smell started to dissipate and it became more enjoyable. It's a great spring and summer blend.

Michael, you should read up on Erik's father(Peter)and his place in pipe tobacco history.

Maybe this is an instance where if we forget the history, it'll happen again? :wink:

But, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
My number one question is, is this aromatic good enough to justify the higher pricetag? I mean, sure I'll go get another aromatic to try, but would I pay more for another aromatic that costs more than some of the best non-aromatics on the shelf?

I can get Esoteric for much cheaper than this one costs- dollar to oz that is.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My number one question is, is this aromatic good enough to justify the higher pricetag?
$17.50 is for 3.5oz/100g, that's the only tin it comes in. That would be $8.75 compared to typical 1.76oz/50g tins of other blends. Plus, 1931 burns at nearly half the rate of most other blends so it stretches nearly twice as far. Taking that into consideration it compares to a typical blend costing around $4.38/50g or $2.48/oz. That's down there in bulk-blend territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.