PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I have never posted a tobacco review before. But I just finished a tin of Erik Stokkebye's 1931 Flake and I felt compelled to sing its song.

TLDR; This is a delicious, burley-forward blend of quality tobacco.

The tin note is gentle and not room-filling. The fragrant notes of “nutty” and “earthy” from the burley are present and inviting. The moisture of the flakes upon opening was nearly perfect. The tobacco readily accepted flame within only a few minutes out of the tin. This blend lends itself very well to “fold-and-stuff” packing. The flakes are not very robust, and will maintain their shape only with delicate handling.

The tin I opened had just over two years of age, which proved to be enough time for the component tobaccos to adequately meld together and provide a mature, complete experience. Among the components, the burley is center-stage and fairly clean considering the addition of honey/flavoring . The US Virginias deliver a sweetness without forcing “hay” or “grassy” flavors to the forefront. The black cavendish is subtle, contributing less to the blend’s flavor, and more to the smoothness and texture of the smoke. And the casing/toppings used are well measured and never cloying.

I sometimes struggle with fold-and-stuff packing, often choosing to rub out flakes instead. But the flakes of this blend are forgiving enough that a few of the bowls I folded and packed from this tin burned to the bottom with only a single relight. It seemed that the flavor became deeper and richer as I approached the half-way point. I find with certain stronger blends my palate is fatigued by the end of the bowl, and flavors diminish. Such was not the case with this blend. I feel that this is a blend that can be smoked in back-to-back sessions and still be flavorful and enjoyable.

There is a nose tingle on retrohale, but the sensation is pleasant and repeatable. I found this blend to be most flavorful when I clench the pipe while shallow breathing. Gentle but deliberate is the way to sip this tobacco, and in doing so, tongue bite is never a concern.

I enjoyed this blend in a variety of pipes, including briars, a cobb and even a meer. But I kept coming back to a burley-dedicated cobb and a side of coffee.

4 out of 4.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It's a good blend. It's not a favorite of mine but I do enjoy it. I picked up 5 100g tins a few years ago. I've smoked most of one and have enjoyed so far.

Reactions: Fralphog and yanoJL

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Like Mac Baren's Navy Flake, this is sublime with about 5 years age on it. Glad you liked it!
I picked up this hobby less than a year ago. So I don't have anything aged in my cellar... yet. But I'm working on it. I've been ordering faster than I've been smoking, so my cellar inventory is growing, albeit slowly.

The 1931 tin I purchased arrived 2+ years after the tin date. But I enjoyed this blend enough to reorder. I also added MB navy flake to that same order. Assuming I can be patient, I'll have a few tins to revisit a few years down the road.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Sounds like you are off to a great start. I was lucky. When I started they still sold full tins on eBay. I was able to get aged stuff from the get go. Also, if you have one nearby, join a pipe club. Members typically share wonderful stuff you can't easily get or even discontinued blends for you to try.

Reactions: yanoJL

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Nice review, been thinking of buying up the 4rth gen pipes and matching tobaccos by year and this one keeps coming up, next purchase for sure...

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I received a NOV 2020 tin from my Secret Santa. After reading your review, I'm looking forward to poppin' it open.