Erector Sets - I Never Had One As A Child. Did You? I Do Now.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
As a child of the 80’s... I didn’t have the patience for an erector set. I needed more immediate results. Usually played with toy guns, army guys, GI joes, Super Power figures, etc etc. The erector set at this point was way too old school plus it has the word “erect” in it which can make you avoid it like the plague lol

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I envy you guys. All I had was a "horse" made out of a wooden stick.

But, boy, that "horse" could scoot like hell up and down them red clay hills of north Georgia once them "Injuns" got after me.

Talk about the proverbial days.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I loved building things with the Erector Set. Mine was the proper 1950’s all metal stamped version, with nuts and screws a little kid could properly ingest or inhale, metal lengths that could poke your eye out. Good stuff. None of that plastic junk.
Lincoln Logs made from real wood.
Most of the stuff I played with as a kid was to some small extent, life threatening, which is as it should be.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I loved building things with the Erector Set. Mine was the proper 1950’s all metal stamped version, with nuts and screws a little kid could properly ingest or inhale, metal lengths that could poke your eye out. Good stuff. None of that plastic junk.
This is a metal set with the tiny nuts and bolts...plastic wheels though. Some of the paperwork is dated 1964 and 1969. The box is dated 1974, so I'm guessing '70's maybe into the 80's.

Here's what's inside the box.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I had, well I don't know what I had. Aside from some hand made/knitted stuffed toys, most of my toys from my early childhood came in paper grocery bags or boxes and were bought at garage sales or Goodwill and came complete with missing pieces and no original packaging. ?

Things got better as I grew older and birthdays/Christmas saw name brand new stuff but occasional toys still came from garage sales. I can remember going "garage saleing" on Saturdays with my mom and grandmother until was 14 or 15 years old. Grandma loved going to garage sales right up until she passed.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nondescript plastic figures, some Hot Wheels, some GI Joes, DinoRiders... not too many of any given series and of course, never the complete collection of anything. The most I had of were Transformers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Estes Rockets were popular (when we were teenagers) in our neighborhood. We lived on a dead-end street, we would shoot off the rockets and every kid on the block would chase the rocket as it parachuted back to the ground.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lionel trains, yes!

Rockets: We made some of our own, by drilling out a CO2 cartridge and stuffing it with match tips. The pipe of a set of stilts was the perfect launcher. How did we not end up burnt??

It was also fun to start fires remotely by gluing a BB onto a kitchen match, then firing that out an airgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.