PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Not a detailed review, but I thought it might be helpful to compare the two. I never had the original Revelation, so I don't have that experience as a reference.

The Match Revelation, made my Sutliff, I found to be very good. I liked the mix of different tobaccos. What I did notice was that it seemed to need a little more perique for my liking, so I added some, with a ratio of 10 parts Revelation to one part perique. I like this very much and find it smokes well all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

Reading that Cornell & Diehl's Epiphany was based on the original Revelation, I wanted to try it too. I got a one ounce bulk bag to try. I do find that it tastes very similar to the Match Revelation. It may have a touch more perique. I do like the taste at the start of the bowl. But what I'm getting from the C & D Epiphany is that it doesn't seem to taste the same all the way through. As I get past halfway through the bowl, it gets a more ashy taste.

My personal preference is the Match Revelation by Sutliff. It seems to stay consistent in taste to the bottom of the bowl better than the Epiphany.

Both blends were fresh when smoked. Used MM cobs for both.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've only tried the C&D Epiphany.
Although it's a touch stronger than my usual fare [Most of my blends are mild - mild to medium] I like it very much.

I'm tempted to press some in my noodle maker for several weeks to make Kake.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Sutliff Revelation Match was a game changer for me. Like the OP I have never tried the original, and unlike the OP I haven’t yet pulled the trigger on the Epiphany.

I’m content with the perique ratio, but I will mix some more into see how this changes the blend.

For me, the best thing about the blend (and also the only reason I haven’t grabbed the C&D version) is how the dark fired leaf interacts with the fruitiness of the perique.

But yes I agree, with all blends, and especially this one, taste preference is all about relativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.