PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
It’s my understanding that both of these blends are supposed to recreate the original Epiphany blend. I never had the original, but I’ve tried both of these. The C&D Epiphany does not seem to have an additional “topping” that adds a sweet flavor whereas the Sutliff Match Revelation does.

1) Do those of you who have tried both also find this to be true, and
2) If so, which is closer to the original? (i.e. was the original Revelation “topped?”

Reactions: danimalia

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Haven't tried the Sutliff but I'm very familiar with C&D Epiphany. I'm surprised to hear you say it doesn't have a topping because the topping is the very first thing I noticed about the blend. Granted it's probably not as strong as Sutliff's--they're kind of known for their syrupy toppings--but it's there for sure. So far as which is a closer match, that's a question for @jiminks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't had C&D Epiphany for a while, but my memory of it is that the topping is restrained and only sets off the tobacco. I've never tried the Sutliff match.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The topping of the Sutliff Match is closer to the original than that of Epiphany, though it is a tad stronger than the original. The burley in Epiphany is a little closer to the original than the Sutliff Match. The overall construction of the Sutliff Match in the ratios of the tobaccos and their joint effect is closer to the original than Epiphany is.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
The C&D Epiphany does not seem to have an additional “topping” that adds a sweet flavor whereas the Sutliff Match Revelation does
Epiphany has a pretty strong fruity topping, I think, but I kind of know what you mean: the Sutliff is pretty sweet, whereas the Epiphany has some rough edges and bitterness, especially when very fresh. I think the Sutliff just uses sweeter base tobaccos/casings. Too sweet for my tastes, in fact. I should pull them out for a little side by side taste test to see if I'm remembering correctly.

Reactions: danimalia

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Thanks for the replies and great info. But you know what? I'm finding that I don't notice toppings as much when I smoke indoors. This occurred to me just yesterday, lol. I tried the Peretti Thanksgiving earlier in the week smoking it indoors and it tasted like a nice burley blend, but I didn't get the topping that was mentioned in reviews. Yesterday (Thanksgiving) it was nice outside (almost 50!) so I enjoyed getting to have a pipe outdoors again. Wow! The topping was about all I could taste. I was stunned that it was the same tobacco I'd smoked earlier in the week. I remember trying Epiphany in the winter (indoors) and the Sutliff match this fall (outdoors)...so I wonder how many blends I need to retry which I have only tasted indoors.

Has anyone else had this type of experience, or do I sound like a nut?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm finding that I don't notice toppings as much when I smoke indoors.
so I enjoyed getting to have a pipe outdoors again. Wow! The topping was about all I could taste.
That's actually pretty normal. The human brain is wired to tone down ambient smells after awhile. Something you might notice when entering a room will recede into the background after you've been in that room for a few minutes. Smoking indoors you're sitting in, and inhaling, the cloud of smoke around you, and its scent will go into the background after a few minutes. You won't be aware of it. Outdoors conditions are different, much different, and the smell and taste of your tobacco is going to stay in the foreground.

Status
Not open for further replies.