PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A genuinely pristine---meaning was never touched by a buffer or otherwise "restored" (cough)---example of a genuinely rare model pipe---a Dunhill patent ODA (the patent era ended shortly after the 800-series ODA line was introduced, meaning only a few were ever made).
So... why do I feel like punching a wall?
Or, more precisely, punching some idiot's face?
Never mind... I'd better shut up. I'm too pissed to type, and pictures are worth a thousand words, anyway:
ggZaEsj.jpg

eFmgCMp.jpg

YVPrbBq.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Is that a charred burn through, George?
Yup. (Not quite through yet, but only a few smokes away from it. .18" inches, in fact, COUNTING the carbon layer. If scraped down to healthy wood, the bowl wall would measure about half that.)
Unlikely it was a flaw in the wood, based on the pattern of damage and Dunhill's pickiness about sourcing good briar back in the day.
Someone simply puffed long enough and hard enough that they were literally smoking a combination of briar and tobacco. All that's left is charcoal clinging to a thin briar shell.
Incredible.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ouch! There were similar burns on a couple of pipes two months ago in another thread.
I'd guess that if there weren't so little left of the bowl in those spots, other repairs might be made besides a meer insert. Gosh, that's disheartening. Maybe they filled the bowl with magnesium shavings? Gross.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I can understand someone not taking care of a "drugstore" pipe. But when you see the more spendy pipes like this I always scratch my head wondering how someone can do that.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I can understand someone not taking care of a "drugstore" pipe. But when you see the more spendy pipes like this I always scratch my head wondering how someone can do that.
Going by the external condition, it's likely the damage was done soon after the pipe was bought, and it was just put away. The guy obviously had no idea how to smoke and probably didn't even realize he was causing permanent damage. (Maybe it was a gift and his first-ever pipe?)
While they've never been inexpensive, Dunhills didn't cost much more than other "name" brands of the time. The things that make that particular specimen expensive today are accidents of history that hadn't happened yet or were just in the process of happening, so didn't affect the value. I'm guessing it cost around $75 at the time.
If the chamber was sound what would it be worth today? Probably around a grand. (Ouch, huh?)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Depends how old it is, Kaywoodie's used to cost more than Dunhills, and I've seem plenty of Kaywoodie's in that shape or worse. I'm sure the guy/gal who owned it smoked it alot. No harm in that.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I didn't even cry when I dropped my prized meershaum and it broke at the tenon. I just grabbed the superglue, glued it together and have been enjoying it just like I did before.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Wait... George... You actually cried?
You are assuming I'm a grown man. Pipe repairmen are perpetual kids. (Hmmm... I wonder what's in THIS box?! Oh, goodie, goodie, goodie... Look at THAT!)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I just grabbed the superglue, glued it together and have been enjoying it just like I did before.
Beware. Glued on tenons always let go eventually. Probably best to limit that pipe's use to hand holding while reading in an armchair.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I didn't know these existed:
http://www.meerschaumstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CA0016
While this is a miserable sight, we know nothing about the smoker. He may have simply worn the pipe ragged through years of vigorous use. Or he may have been one of those angry people who takes gleeful pride in misuse of elegant possessions as a means of asserting his control and self-informed status as wealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.