PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
That tool is a Kemper k31 zigzag saw, you can find it at pottery supply places too, there's probably one sitting in a drawer within 2 miles of you, but finding the person who has it is the trick!

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast

Thanks Sasquatch! 1.90 shipping ...much more reasonable. I tried using files they were the best option for me. I have pipe and it whistles on the inhale which has been driving me nuts, so I don't smoke it! We will see as I think that's where the problem lies!

Reactions: diamondback
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU

Thanks Sasquatch! 1.90 shipping ...much more reasonable. I tried using files they were the best option for me. I have pipe and it whistles on the inhale which has been driving me nuts, so I don't smoke it! We will see as I think that's where the problem lies!
to Europe, Priority International $ 50,,

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
...and, keep in mind that the stem material will cut like butter to the high-speed steel the bit is made of, so be cCcaarreeffuullllll... one little slip and you've turned your pipe into a flute.
Yep. Never use a drill. Just use the drill bit & turn by hand for draught holes.

To widen the button hole, I'd use a file. There was a pack of 10 files on ebay way back when.
They're all rather thin. One size is perfect for draught holes but I'll have to dig them out to see if ones small enough to use on the button hole.

I'm fairly sure that a craft supply shop should have files small enough for the purpose.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Having this done by a pro is an option. Calculate the value of the pipe to you, and the difficulty of the drilling, and decide accordingly. You might also have to have a new stem cut if things go awry. Or it could be a good learning experience, especially if you succeeded. An interesting choice.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Having this done by a pro is an option. Calculate the value of the pipe to you, and the difficulty of the drilling, and decide accordingly. You might also have to have a new stem cut if things go awry. Or it could be a good learning experience, especially if you succeeded. An interesting choice.

I only did it because the affected pipes are $30-$45 pipes. I would never attempt to modify any pipes of significant value

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I’m sorry but random goofy drops hyped on social media... I’m starting to be over it already.
Just like any other hard to get item, I suppose. I have several blends but haven't opened hem yet. Who knows when I will get around to trying them.

Small batch, fair price, free shipping...if I am up at drop time..why not....

I think he drops them late night so that the rest of the US has a chance at picking some up.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I’m sorry but random goofy drops hyped on social media... I’m starting to be over it already.

Yeah I was never a huge fan. I would describe myself as initially intrigued, and currently "whatever". I'll sorta keep an eye/ear on what he's got going on, and if something worthwhile falls into my lap I might bite, but Watch City is where it's really at (for me).

Verge Engine Overdrive is above average, and I really do like the "Extra Mature" FVF that I got from him, but of course I do because FVF is great and aged FVF is superb. Burly Morning Pipe is decent but I don't really dig aromatics, and I would much rather fux wit Watch City's Slices if we're talking semi-aromatic burley-based blends to pair with coffee.

I appreciate what KBV is doing, but mostly I appreciate from afar. Primarily because yeah, dude says on instagram "Coming in February" but then suddenly randomly makes it available for sale in January instead, and it sells out. Hard to be a fan of that. Why follow along and mark your calendar and try for things when he doesn't even adhere to his own release schedule?

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I've done it before with a pipe that had a slotted bit and it restricted the draw. Just used really small drill bits and a cordless drill. Didn't even use a vice. Just held it in my hand. Better to have the bit slightly smaller than the opening and just move the drill around sort of reaming it. If the drill bit is slightly bigger than the hole it will dig in really quick and you might take out more than you want. Also if your drill bit is too big you can actually get larger pieces of plastic lodged in the airway. I had a nice time getting those out of another stem I worked on haha.

Then some really small files to finish it off. It's quite easy if you have small enough drill bits. I ended up widening the whole stem as I like a steady unrestricted airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.