Enjoying Those Great G&H Blends, This Is What You're to Face..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Well, quite interesting,it does not necessarily take long when after smoking Lakeland aroma' blends I had to proceed this booze&alcohol treatment, imagine If I had been smoking Lakelands in all my pipes,,:oops: but Yes, I have been noticing that tobaccos even with a minor amount of Lakeland toppings do eventually ghost pipes somewhat, I don't know how this would be with Latakia mixtures, nonetheless, I must say I am not too much bothered with this ghosting issue but when I'm smoking Burleys in these pipes I can taste that floral coming through, which is nothing bad per se but the faint floral is coming through,no doubt, exclusive is, ST Bruno&Condor Long Cut , Erinmore which I don't notice to ghost my briars that fiercely (they will but not the same level)than those few blends from renowned Gawith&HoggarthCIMG0575.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have 3 small chambered pipes dedicated to Lakelands. 1 for 1792, 1 for Grasmere, and one for Ennerdale. I also have a pipe dedicated to Condor. I usually smoke st Bruno in a Falcon, but I don't notice a ghost in it so I smoke other things, especially Mac Baren blends without any trouble. Just as important as dedicating certain bowls to strong ghosters, I have a couple of pipes dedicated to pure blends, one for straight VA, 1 for oriental forward light latakia blends, and 1 for unflavored burley. All the rest of my pipes smoke whatever else I put in them. I do have a few "sweet" pipes that I only use for flavored burley and Cavendish aromatics. That seems like a lot of dedication, but its really not since, aside from the specific Lakelands, they're mostly genre dedicated.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I just smoke through the ghost. Most of the time the background flavor is nice. I do wash my pipes with hot water after smoking, I'm sure this cuts down on the ghosting. Latley I've been smoking Coconut twist out of the same pipes I smoke a lot of burley blends out of. That is a friendly ghost, although it does prevent you from enjoying the blend as it was made.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The sudden popularity of GH is something I thought I would never see. For years they were a pariah of the pipe world. You couldn't give it away and it was always in stock.

I am convinced the advent of social media is the reason in the rise of these blends. To me is shows just how powerful social media is. I still predict that a lot of people who bought it without smoking it first are going to be selling their stocks of it.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I just smoke through the ghost. Most of the time the background flavor is nice. I do wash my pipes with hot water after smoking, I'm sure this cuts down on the ghosting. Latley I've been smoking Coconut twist out of the same pipes I smoke a lot of burley blends out of. That is a friendly ghost, although it does prevent you from enjoying the blend as it was made.
Coconut Twist is a very mild "friendly ghost" as you put it. There's no smoking through 1792, it's not a ghost but a full fledged demon?! It's somehow delicious on its own(imo), but will make other blends taste like you marinated them in Worcestershire ?. Washing is futile, and salt/alcohol will only help if you've had just a few bowls. The good thing is, if you run out you can smoke a bland blend in a 1792 pipe and get the same experience - without the knee buckling nic hit.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have 3 small chambered pipes dedicated to Lakelands. 1 for 1792, 1 for Grasmere, and one for Ennerdale. I also have a pipe dedicated to Condor. I usually smoke st Bruno in a Falcon, but I don't notice a ghost in it so I smoke other things, especially Mac Baren blends without any trouble. Just as important as dedicating certain bowls to strong ghosters, I have a couple of pipes dedicated to pure blends, one for straight VA, 1 for oriental forward light latakia blends, and 1 for unflavored burley. All the rest of my pipes smoke whatever else I put in them. I do have a few "sweet" pipes that I only use for flavored burley and Cavendish aromatics. That seems like a lot of dedication, but its really not since, aside from the specific Lakelands, they're mostly genre dedicated.

I also dedicate pipes to genres and some to specific blends. Nothing is set in stone but I tend to stick to it.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
The sudden popularity of GH is something I thought I would never see. For years they were a pariah of the pipe world. You couldn't give it away and it was always in stock.

I am convinced the advent of social media is the reason in the rise of these blends. To me is shows just how powerful social media is. I still predict that a lot of people who bought it without smoking it first are going to be selling their stocks of it.
You're probably right about most of that, but there are a few true fans. I enjoy musky floral incense and my favorites are Satya Sai Baba Super-Hit and Nag Champa, and I find the lakeland room note to be similar to those. I also think Ennerdale tastes like pistachio ice cream and don't understand the adverse reaction some have to it. In some cultures people eat pungent foods that westerners can't wrap their minds around.. Some folks just have very different tastes. I, for one, find many popular blends like 1-q to be cloyingly sweet with an oddly bitter, stale room note, but I'm obviously not in the majority. I worked in the craft brewing industry for many years and no one believed that sour beers would become as popular as they did, and many believed the fad would crash as fast as it rose, but it's really an old-world style that will always have lovers and detractors. I think social media has shined a light onto these things and piqued curiosity whereas in the old days if you went into a B&M and picked up a tin of G&H someone would often shout "you don't want that, it's disgusting! Buy this 1-Q instead!" I definitely got funny looks at my nearest B&M when I cleaned out their old jar of Grasmere that had been collecting dust for a decade or so. Different strokes...

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I finally broke down and ordered 6 2oz samples of G&H flakes mainly because of the hype here. I've only tried Glengarry and Hansom flake so far. I don't think my pipes have anything to worry about. The flavor is weird which is what I should have expected from the traditional British tobacco house. Brits eat some weird food and my gut was telling me this tobacco was going to be like that.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I finally broke down and ordered 6 2oz samples of G&H flakes mainly because of the hype here. I've only tried Glengarry and Hansom flake so far. I don't think my pipes have anything to worry about. The flavor is weird which is what I should have expected from the traditional British tobacco house. Brits eat some weird food and my gut was telling me this tobacco was going to be like that.
What I like about the Lakeland florals is that they are the smells of a bygone era. I can remember occasionally smelling perfumes like them when I was a kid, but not anymore. I think it's cool that Lakeland florals are still being made and still fashionable among some of us old fogies.

Status
Not open for further replies.