PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
One of my favorite things about this place is the tobacco reiews and recomendations. I just wish I had the time to try them all!

But I did get a hold of several tins of Squadron Leader and I'm really enjoying it!

So, thanks!

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I've got a tin waiting in the wings (pun intended), but I have too many English blends already open that need to be smoked first. Can't wait to try it and hope it lives up to the hype.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
A good friend of mine just came back from a trip from Scotland and brought me a tin of this is a gift. I can't wait to open it as well.

Aug 1, 2012
Squadron Leader is by far my favorite English blend. It's the first tinned tobacco I tried and you never forget your first love.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One of my favorite English blends as well. I've only got 1 tin left at the moment, but it's been in the drawer for about 2 years now. Looking forward to cracking it open before much longer.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I always have some Squad at hand. I add it to other blands (no typo) as well now and again to add something to them.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Squadron Leader is by far my favorite English blend. It's the first tinned tobacco I tried and you never forget your first love.
True, I love me some Grousemoor!!! :worship:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
One of the great blends. I have a vintage Sasieni bulldog dedicated solely to that blend. Makes me feel like I'm ready to hop in my Sopwith Camel and run patrols high above the trenches.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Ya know... all these years of smoking a pipe and I have never tried this blend... I have come close many times but just havent pulled the trigger.
but rest assured that will be in my next batch of tins I order :)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Has anyone had it after a year of aging or longer? My tin is at least 1.5 years, maybe 2 since IDK how long it was in the shop... I'm afraid that it'll be too mild by now.

zirbengeist

Lurker
Aug 22, 2012
I am a huge fan of Squadron Leader and I plan to buy more on my next order.
That being said so far I have only good things to say about SG blends. The only SG flake I have tried is the Balkan and I am also a fan of that

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
No experiences with aging?
I wish I had to try it fresh but since that's no longer possible I'm hoping for the best. lol

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
When do you think it is at its peak, roth?
I sure as hell hope it is still sealed, as I have not tampered with it in any way, but who knows what may have happened in between...
Honestly I thought Balkan Flake was rather light for my tastes, so I don't have much hope for latakia intensity with an aged tin of Squadron Leader. If the other tobaccos have improved, though, that'll probably be great for other reasons...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks. I used to think I needed a lot of latakia but maybe a restrained blend with a better and more refined Virginia/Turkish component would be just the ticket. I'll approach it with an open mind, anyway!
There seems to be less of a shortage on Samuel Gawith than when I first started so it may be easier to get my hands on some fresh Squadron Leader in the future.
I will probably wait for another few months, but that's only because my English consumption is very very low these days.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Simenon the darn stuff is so good nobody ages it . I was able to pick up a tin a month or so back , and so far I have kept my mitts off of it . It and a tin of Balkan ,almost sprung for some black and brown rope but times have been tough here of late .

Status
Not open for further replies.