PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I would love not to, but I'm sitting outside on my deck and it's always breezy. If I don't dump mid bowl, then I'm asking for an ash shower. I could use a wind cap, but then I can't tamp, relighting isn't as easy or pleasurable, etc., but I'd love to hear the seasoned smokers weigh in on this.
I recently reluctantly started using a cap on windy days which we get a lot of. I was amazed at how well the pipes smoked and how much I stopped fiddling. Take the cap off once in a while to tamp, relight and enjoy. What a difference.

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
I recently reluctantly started using a cap on windy days which we get a lot of. I was amazed at how well the pipes smoked and how much I stopped fiddling. Take the cap off once in a while to tamp, relight and enjoy. What a difference.
I am still working on my packing technique, and there is still room for improvement. I will try putting the wind cap on to test the difference in the draw and number of relights.

Itz

Lurker
Jun 12, 2020
I do, but it's a game of risk and reward. Do I risk dumping all of the tobacco out or only the ash and I get a clean smoke.

Anytime I've tried dumping, it tastes sour and is incredibly hot from what I assume is all the moisture. Do y'all let it dry out too?