Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Peterson Early Morning - yucky.
Stokkebye 306 Eng/Oriental - yummy.

I don't know enough to define why two tobaccos that smell and taste so similar would strike me so differently. I've tried them both from several pipes with the same reaction each time.

Incidentally, I'm smoking the Stokk in a Dr Grabow that was mistakenly (maybe) sent to me by an ebay vendor. The finish is crap, but I did a salt/alcohol clean on it, and it smokes great, nasty-free. I've ordered a couple really nice pipes, but I can't complain about this one. I will refinish it and keep it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've never had Early Morning Pipe, but Stokkebye makes some pretty good Latakia blends! They also make the Balkan Supreme for Arango and I believe they also make Balkan Sasieni. Two very good blends, IMO

As for why you like one and get the other, it could just he the blend ratios and component leaves, or some processing element. Just how it goes sometimes, I guess. Isn't the Stokkebye heavier on the Latakia? Maybe EMP is too light in Latakia for you?

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
I agree with you on both. You should also try Balkan Sasieni (also made by Stokkeby) and Peretti Royal; they are in the same vein but even better (they're both matches for different generations of the old original Balkan Sobranie). You should also try McConnell's Original Oriental and Oriental Square (a Dunhill Durbar match), and Robert Lewis Orcilla. And Peretti's Tashkent which is not a Balkan Sobranie clone but is even better than Royal.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
So many people love EMP, but it has never done anything for me, which seems odd because I generally appreciate lighter English blends. It just tastes cigarette-ish to me, but not like the cigs I used to smoke (camel lights). I tend to like the blends that get compared to it much better, like Presbyterian, Star of the East Gold, Standard Mellow, Squadron Leader, Skiff Mixture, and surprisingly... EMP Match "Sunrise". Who knows, I may have liked the Murray's version better since many of the Match blends are based on them instead of the current Scandinavian production.
If you really like Sutliff EO, it probably does have something to do with the burley component, or just Sutliff's general moisture level, sweetness, and softness. Also, since it's focused more on the orientals, you may be more of a Balkan fan... I often read folks saying EMP is oriental forward, but I find it to be mostly red and gold Virginia with a smattering of Turkish and a whisper of Latakia. More Turkish than Greek oriental leaves, and far more "lt English" than "lt Balkan".
As with all things tobacco related, ymmv.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I've never had Early Morning Pipe, but Stokkebye makes some pretty good Latakia blends! They also make the Balkan Supreme for Arango and I believe they also make Balkan Sasieni. Two very good blends, IMO

As for why you like one and get the other, it could just he the blend ratios and component leaves, or some processing element. Just how it goes sometimes, I guess. Isn't the Stokkebye heavier on the Latakia? Maybe EMP is too light in Latakia for you?
I don't know. Lat = smoky, peaty, I think? Maybe EMP has more

Reactions: danimalia

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I agree with you on both. You should also try Balkan Sasieni (also made by Stokkeby) and Peretti Royal; they are in the same vein but even better (they're both matches for different generations of the old original Balkan Sobranie). You should also try McConnell's Original Oriental and Oriental Square (a Dunhill Durbar match), and Robert Lewis Orcilla. And Peretti's Tashkent which is not a Balkan Sobranie clone but is even better than Royal.
Thanks. They're going on my list

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Never smoked Stokkebye 306... but there are a number of "English Orientals" on the market I like.

As for EMP, I enjoy it, but it's not the top of the list for me. I would compare it to Pete's Beard Blend.

And I second Balkan Sasieni. I love it.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If you really like Sutliff EO
My mistake. My brain switched Stokkebye for Sutliff.
STG makes both EMP and the Stokkebye line, so the biggest difference was likely the addition of burley and greek orientals in EO, the selection of Virginia's in EMP, and the moisture difference between tinned and bulk blends.
Although I'm not a big fan of EMP, you may like it better after the tin has been open for a few days. The dunhill blends all have a slight top dressing and tin fermentation note that flashes away after a week or so, and I've always gotten a bite if I smoke it from a freshly cracked tin, even with some drying time.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My Oriental-forward English short list:
  • Arango Balkan Supreme
  • G. L. Pease Spark Plug
  • Cornell & Diehl Star of the East (a bit one-note, but it’s a good note)
  • Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture Match
I second the suggestion for Pease's Spark Plug. It is my favorite Latakia blend at the moment. I think it is a masterpiece of Latakia and Oriental tobacco blending!

Status
Not open for further replies.