English Blends with Little to No Latakia ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
So I’m the kind of guy who when getting street tacos I prefer no cilantro. I’m wondering if there is a connection to cilantro and Latakia in the sense that I have heard both of them referred to by those of us with sensitive palates as tasting “soapy”. I know C&Ds Pirate Kake has been referred to as a “ Lat Bomb” but the first time I smoked it I loved it it was sweet and creamy then upon smoking EMP in the same pipe the next day all I could taste was Latakia and nothing else , seemed I was smoking pure potpourri. Now obviously there was a ghost but I smoke a few more English blends in that pipe and it began to taste normal again, problem fixed? No I wanted that Pirate Kake to taste good again so I picked up an MM cob to have a PK designated pipe , no cream no sweetness just pure potpourri again. So Im going to give my palate a PK break. But like the headline reads because I’m so sensitive to the the Lat is there any strong English blends (think 4/5) that I could enjoy that are light on the Lat or have none in them? Thanks so much in advance. So stoked to be part of this community ( pun intended)

Reactions: Reggie

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I got to a point where even the most moderate latakia blends were lat bombs. The only two that have a lat content so low that I could taste the rest of the tobacco and actually have to look for latakia to find it are Black Frigate and Yenidje Highlander.

Reactions: vosBghos
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
What about something that has Kentucky in it instead? Blends like old dark fired or six pence have some strong flavors, no Latakia but have dark fired.

I would not call them creamy though.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I got to a point where even the most moderate latakia blends were lat bombs. The only two that have a lat content so low that I could taste the rest of the tobacco and actually have to look for latakia to find it are Black Frigate and Yenidje Highlander.
To me Black Frigate tasted very clearly of Latakia.

I am one of those with a mutation that makes coriander/cilantro to taste like stinkbugs smells. Any spec of it in my mouth puts me off eating.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Presbyterian, Peterson Early Morning Pipe, Black Frigate, Wilke 111

Non-English light Latakia blends - Bob’s Chocolate Flake, Bob’s Square Cut, Edward G Robinson, Plumcake, Solent Mixture?

There are so many non-Latakia blends with English style components. Hard to think of them now though. ☹️ Drawing a blank.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Try Oriental Silk from C&D, the latakia is replaced with perique. Or, Star of the East Gold (also by C&D), it's SOTE with the amounts of Latakia and orientals switched.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
You might try some of the "Scottish" type blends as they tend to have smaller percentages of latakia in the mix. Rattray's makes a few nice ones. Jock's Mixture has just a light touch of it.