English Blends More Expensive Than Aros?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi,

I have noticed that some tobacco manufacturers charge more for their English blend than their aromatics. Is the quality of the tobacco in English blends superior? Thanks

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Sutliff, most of their Englishes and blending tobaccos cost about $0.15 + more per ounce than the Aros. Not a huge difference.

A couple local B&Ms charge $3 more per ounce for English than they do for Aro blends.
Latakia ‘spensive?

I dunno I don’t smoke Latakia so I haven’t noticed. ?

but I’d guess it might be one of the most expensive components.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
My guess is that PG is cheaper than tobacco? ?‍♂️
Not being a smartass. If you think about how laden some of these bulk aro blends are with humectant, it has to account for some of the weight. Maybe that translates into the different pricing. Just a guess, I could be wholly wrong.
I'm a homegrown and whole leaf smoker. I get physically ill smoking many store-bought blends (I must admit that I have not tried a plethora of them).
So, I know it is the toppings in some way shape or form.
However, I have always tolerated, actually smoked and enjoyed, English blends.
I've always considered not tolerating humectants as one possibility.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I've got some from 2009 before they started making the looser cakes. Careful about the lat bombs, many on here have suffered from long term to permanent latakia fatigue where every English blend tastes exactly the same.
Yeah I limit the lat bomb smokage. I like them, but infrequently. My favourite English blends so far are Squadron Leader, EMP, and Presbyterian, lighter Englishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.