PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
Hi everyone. I was just wondering what you thought would be a good "introduction" to an English blend for a Virginia lover. I'm looking for something that doesn't have an intolerable room note for those around me but that has a rich, complex, full-bodied flavor that is also not too overpowering. Am I asking too much of an English blend? Is there another blend (Oriental, etc.) that may be worth trying that has those characteristics?
Thanks.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
The problem with English blends is that even though they taste really good and smell good to most of us pipers, non smokers will probably not like the room note.

Some lighter English blends that I would suggest for a cross over from Virginias are:
Hearth & Home Namaste'

Samuel Gawith Perfection

McClelland Frog Morton

Just For Him Shortcut to Mushrooms (I consider this an Aromatic-English)

Altadis Count Pulaski (I consider this an Aro-English)

Cornell & Diehl Mississippi Mud

Castro Brothers (Davidus) Portrait
I love VA and VA/Per blends and these are some of my favorite English blends. I think that they might be what you are looking for as an introduction to English blends that won't give you too much of a Latakia blast right away.

They also have a relatively tolerable, and maybe even a pleasant, room note.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I can't comment on any of the blends Bob mentioned, but I can tell you how I came to appreciate Latakia/English tobaccos.
The first was Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. It's no longer imported, though several blenders offer mockup blends that may be worth trying.
The second was MacBaren Solent Mixture. Like EMP, it was not overbearing and has a pleasant room note.
What finally got me liking Latakia was James Fox's Dorisco Mixture. The tin mentions nothing about Latakia whatsoever, but it's in there. By the time I finished 50 grams, I became a fan.
What's unfortunate is that before I acquired the taste, I pitched a tin of Dunhill Nightcap and Butera Pelican, not thinking I'd ever like such a blend.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Dude we could assemble all the blends you've thrown away and have a decent start on a great stash. So far we've got 3 Nuns, Nightcap and Pelican.
OK OK I live in a glass house so I will retract the stones. I've thrown away some MYO blends that later had me shaking my head as I reordered. I also left nearly an entire forgotten 3 Castles pouch in a closet once. It was partly open and by the time I recently found it there was no recovering it. Dust.
Pretty happy with myself considering that stuff is harder to find these days than Kush at a church picnic.
RJ

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I stopped smoking British blends when I lost my taste for the stuff years ago. But I can advise you not to overlook Balkan blends. You may find them fuller, but smoother, milder, and a better transition genre than the light English tobaccos. Do a search for "Balkan" on the PipesandCigars.com website and browse the descriptions. Aside from that, try to shop where you can put together sampler packs, and go picking.

• Balkan Sasieni

Brebbia - Balkan

GL Pease: Charing Cross, Caravan, Abingdon, Kensington

Wessex Brigade - Balkan Supreme

Sam Gawith - Balkan Flake

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

Hearth & Home Larry's Blend

McClellands Super Balkan

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Raf. Another that I was surprised to see rated 4 stars on Tobacco Reviews was PS Balkan Supreme. Some call it an English and some a Balkan. I guess since Pete says it's a Balkan it's a Balkan.
In addition to apparently being a very good blend it also has one of my favorite attributes....it's CHEAP.
Can be had for less than 2 bucks an ounce in 1 LB bulk. P&C will sell you a 1 once sample for $4. I find there 1 oz is usually quite generous. So it would be a cheap try.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Rattrays 3Noggins is one I like and you cant go wrong with the frog . Dunhill 965 or a match . Rattrays No7 is a little lighter to my taste buds . With all thse blends I can expect the look from herself .

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
The first english style blend I tried was sherlock's choice (tinderbox), then moved onto SG's squadron leader and Frog morton on the town.

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks for the ideas. I just picked up some Escudo Navy De Luxe at my local shop and while I was there I had a tin of Frog Morton in my hand to try but I put it back. Maybe I'm a little gun shy. I'd like to try some Balkan blends, too. That sounds promising. I chastise myself for being too close-minded when it comes to trying new blends. I'm sure there are literally dozens that I would ultimately love, probably from all different genres.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
From a guy who seems to know his tobacco:
Balkan blends use a heavy proportion of oriental tobaccos sourced from the Balkans (mostly the former Yugoslavia and the northern reaches of Greece.) For Balkan Sobranie, the source and inspiration of the appellation, that tobacco was mostly Yenidje, but since these pure oriental varieties are apparently unavailable to blenders these days, 'balkan blend' today refers to anything that resembles the old classic Sobranies - i.e., a rich tasting English with plenty of turkish/oriental in addition to the customary latakia.
Paul Szabady

and, of course, my favorite blender:
Similar to an English blend, but more Orientals than Virginia is used. G.L. Pease's Odyssey is a well-known example.
Russ Ouellette

and we don't want to leave out this opinion...
I use the term "English Mixture" to refer to a tobacco that's dominated by Latakia and Virginia, but spiced with orientals. This differentiates it from a "Balkan," in which the oriental component is more pronounced. This doesn't mean that there is more oriental leaf than Virginia, but that it's character is dominant in the smoke. (Some oriental tobaccos are quite assertive, and a little goes a long way.)
GL Pease

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
By the way, not to resurrect my own thread unnecessarily, but I absolutely love Escudo Navy De Luxe. I thought I'd be a little put off by the "coins" but it rubs out easily and packs wonderfully. The taste is a little bit of heaven. I think I have a new favorite. I'm still in search of a good English/Balkan blend. I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for the guidance.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I'm still in search of a good English/Balkan blend.
I'm no seasoned Latakia smoker, but from the perspective of one who's finally acquired the taste, can recommend a blend I've fallen in love with, which is Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. I got a sample from a brick and mortar and I see what all the fuss is about. In the future I'll be buying it by the pound when I can afford it.

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks again for the replies. I'll have to check out SG Squadron Leader. I can report that I bought a tin of McClelland's Frog Morton today and I must say that I am rather impressed. It smokes much better than it smells when you open the tin, and it's not too heavy on the Latakia. Very flavorful smoke and it burns very well too. Boy, this is certainly a fun search.

shannonh

Lurker
Mar 10, 2010
Twin Cities
Amy I recommend plantation evening? Easy to pack, great taste, and the room note is better than some.
Frog Morton is a good choice too. PLantation Evening is a bit brighter tasting

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Peter Stokkebye's Proper English is also an excellent blend and has the main advantage I have to watch for. It is relatively cheap

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
How does Frog Morton on the Town smoke.

and what are some good English Flakes beside Irish Flake.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Another nice English is Miner's Blend from Mars Cigars.
I got a sample with an order and plan to buy a pound or at least 8oz. next time.

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
Just as an update I wanted to let you guys know that Frog Morton is now one of my favorite blends of all time. Who would'a guessed? Squadron Leader I didn't fancy but I traded with a guy who loves it. Perfection is wonderful and so is SG's Chocolate Flake, which is, I think, a little heavier on the lat than Perfection and is flavored oh so gently with chocolate (though I don't really detect it). My experimentation has certainly netted me some new fave blends. I wish I could've tried Dunhill 965 before Dunhill stopped importing to the states.
Thanks again for all your suggestions.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Raf... I’m relatively new to English blends myself, and so far I’ve tried and enjoyed Peterson’s Irish Flake & Old Dublin as well as McClelland’s 3 Oaks and Dunhill’s Aperitif. Aperitif is no longer available, but a good friend of mine has several tins in his stash and was nice enough to give me one as a gift.
All of those blends were great, but I just last week found a blend that I think is special by the name of Northwoods from J.M. Boswell, which sells for $3.50 per oz. Here is how they describe the blend on their website.
Northwoods - Full bodied and full flavor a deeply complex English but with a smooth and mild base of Latakia along with Toasted Virginias. J.M. had blended Northwoods for himself to smoke, but then the customers started asking him what he was smoking and his answer was "have a bowl". Northwoods has become one of our most popular English blends.
Enjoy,

JC

Status
Not open for further replies.