PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Hi All - I'm relatively new to pipes and am working on building up my tobacco collection, buying a couple 50 g tins each month, always something new. Of course I always want to try the new blends, so I crack the tins. I only smoke about 7-10 bowls per week, so I got some great little wide mouth mason jars that are perfect for storing about 50 g of tobacco. Now I find I have a growing collection of empty tins. Maybe it is a newbie thing, but since each tin is new to me, I really like them and for now feel like holding on to them.
I'm just curious what some of you do with your empty tins? I could see this progressing from, "Wow, this is new and really cool," to "Ok, I have a lot of cool tins," to "Yes..y..y..yes honey I know. Yeah I just really...ok, ok I know. I will find something to do with them." I'm sure you get the picture. Sure they could be used to store whatever, but then I figure some of you may be more creative than I am. I even thought it might be fun to just collect the lids.
Anyway, I was just wondering...
Thanks,

Bill

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I've got a tin I keep in my truck, with a cork knocker on it so I can empty ash while driving. When it's full, I simply empty it out and avoid having it stay in my vehicle.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I use mine for various loose items, change, screws, yadda yadda. I read on a thread where a guy was going to pound out some of his tins and make a top for a coffee table. Seemed pretty cool to me.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah you can use some here and there for what you would use any container for: hold a small amount of screws, some fishing tackle, other smokeable items...etc. But for the most part, I just keep them in a bucket and when it gets full I bring them to the steel yard. I do peel my labels off under heat and stick them on the mason jar that I am storing that tobacco in.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Lately I've been giving them to my daughter for her painting projects. They're a good size for mixing small amounts of paint and she can close them up to use them the next day if she needs to.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Thanks for the ideas. Funny, when I asked my boys if they would want them, they were eager to to take and started negotiating who got what. Then, they opened them and started comparing the smells.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, here's a follow-up question: Is there any effective way to re-seal the tins to age that blend or other tobacco (relabeled)?

Duct tape, sealing wax, Scotch tape, medical tape?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you have the pop-top tins with a plastic cap, rub some wax along the rim and press some aluminum foil in place

before snapping the plastic lid over it. That'll keep things sealed for a long time.
I don't think other kinds of tobacco tins can be sealed very well, but it might be interesting to experiment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No question they make great receptacles for small items and collectables, like buttons, coins, match books,

loose stamps, paper clips, screws, nuts, bolts, nails, small grooming items, etc. and ad nauseum.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Might be kinda fun to make an art piece from them. I have started 3 tins but not done with any of them yet.

Mar 2, 2010
WV
I made a clock out of a 1792 tin for my "secret santa" recipient on another forum...
clock_zps7c877378.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
When I was young, every woman in my family had a button box. My wife decided on 2 that she thought our granddaughters would like, and has started collecting buttons for their button boxes. The rest are in the basement, just can't seem to throw the round ones away.

1fatbbqr

Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
I put an empty tin in each of my hiking bags so I have an ashtray when I head out on the trails. When I get back from the hike or trip, dump the ash, put em back in the backpack. Not very inventive, but I don't like the idea of dumping out ash while I'm out on the trail. I don't really have a problem with others doing this, just not something I like to do.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I've been taking the metal pop lid tin's out to the range to throw spent shells in, then I toss them on the to be worked pile for making tampers.
The plastic pull tab lid tin's get used for random and assorted too. one is full of spare stems for MM cobs, one has drill bits. I filled one up with dryer lint and took it out to the campsite to use as tinder when I can't find enough dry twigs and leaves to start a fire

Status
Not open for further replies.