PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Not the TV show featuring Julie London as the nurse at Ramparts Hospital.
Emergency groceries.
During the drought, the State of California recommended keeping four days of emergency drinking water per family member.
I did that.
My daughter who likes to bake introduced me to the notion of always keeping Emergency Yeast on hand back during the pandemic when there was a shortage of yeast.
I've always kept an Emergency sack of potatoes and another Emergency sack of onions on hand. A notion passed down from my mom, a farmer's daughter who grew up before rural electrification.
When I got married I've taken to keeping Emergency pasta (back when it was 69 cents a lb at Trader Joes) and now, 25 years later I've just recently started keeping cans of Emergency chopped clams for Emergency clam spaghetti.

What emergency groceries do you keep in your pantry?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My wife is always clearing stuff out of our pantry that are 2 years out of their use-by-date.

There are only the 2 of us at home, but I swear our pantry is as full now as when we had 2 ravenous teenagers with us. cray

I love honey, maple syrup and orange/grapefruit marmalade - always have at least a 12month supply of my favourite brands stashed away. ?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have 250 chickens and 2 hogs, one of the hogs is pregnant.. the female one of course. In a month I'll have 8 or 10 hogs. We've got about 10 cats, if need be. I also keep 30 deer in and around my garden.. that has been miserable. I reckon I'll be trading meat for everything else, if it breaks loose.

Meat and tobacco is all a man truly needs.image000000(3).jpgimage000000(13).jpgResized_PSX_20220330_200325.jpg

Last edited:

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Did you find the meat canning to be easy? or was it a process to learn?
it was pretty easy to learn i was just intimidated by my giant pressure cooker but that was more becouse i never used one before. but the process was relatively simple just put the meat in jars jars goes in pressure cooker wait till pressure cooker is at certain pressure then let it do its thing for a couple hours.