PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
Opened a tin from 05 today, finding it bone dry. I needed it re hydrated to share at a pipe club meeting tonight, so I decided to use my plastic veggie steamer. Got the water boiling and then put the tobacco above it for about 60 seconds. It was instantly re hydrated. It tastes like I remember it! Worked as well as a traditional method which generally takes a few days.

May 4, 2015
That's good to know! I read on another thread that some put the tobacco in a cheesecloth and hold over the spout of a boiling kettle. Same thing, I suppose.
You'd think the heat would affect the tobacco, but maybe not appreciably in such a short exposure.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Know you were in a hurry - and I have to try that. When I had a day or two jarring with a cigar humidifier disk worked well for me.

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
It was unopened tin of Haddo's. I was rehydrating for a group to try, so wasnt going to ask them to blow on the pipe since Ive seen my share of guys trying that and coming with with tobacco all over their lips :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
OMG MY TOBACCO IS DRY!!!!! ITS GONE!!! IS THERE ANY HOPE?!
Sir, it's risky but we can perform emergency rehydration. It's free, but there's a chance it could just go dry again.
OMG I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!
:)

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Steaming seems like it would be overkill IMHO. You want some moisture, but not hot, wet tobacco.
Hot and wet. It's great if you're with a woman, but it makes for lousy weather.(and tobacco)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Steaming seems like it would be overkill IMHO. You want some moisture, but not hot, wet tobacco.
Not if it's steamed for the right amount of time, probably seconds not minutes.
In any event, you can always mix in some too-dry tobacco if you overdo it on the re-hydrating. Or air it out.

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
I checked and mixed it every 20-30 seconds to get the moisture content I wanted. You can do the same thing with boiling water and a strainer. Hold it over it for a few seconds, shake the strainer to mix, check moisture content, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.