PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the late 1950's, those were high style. I had a friend, a woman now in her eighties, who encountered Elvis when they were both in their late teens, remembering him as quite soft-spoken and polite in a charming way. My late wife's mother was a huge fan, mostly after The King departed, and my older sister still likes Elvis memorabilia; I'm sending her a black and white photo Elvis jigsaw puzzle for her birthday this month. I was never an ardent fan, but his music was the soundtrack of my childhood. I like his gospel best.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is a large portrait of Elvis' father in the entry at Graceland, and he is holding a pipe.

Former Governor Marvin Mandel favored Longchamps. I engaged him at a fundraiser they drug him out to, when he was in his 90's. He told me that he had over 1,000 pipes and that they didn't let him smoke them anymore. He told me to come over sometimes and he would give me some. I procrastinated, and he passed away.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I remember as a little kid watching the Elvis movies, especially Blue Hawaii. When my daughter was little she liked Elvis music for a while because of Lilo&Stitch. In a lot of pictures I've seen of him he is wearing a leather jacket and being cool, so I guess it's fitting that his pipe wore a leather jacket as well.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I remember as a little kid watching the Elvis movies, especially Blue Hawaii. When my daughter was little she liked Elvis music for a while because of Lilo&Stitch. In a lot of pictures I've seen of him he is wearing a leather jacket and being cool, so I guess it's fitting that his pipe wore a leather jacket as well.

I liked most of the Elvis movies. They were good, mindless entertainment which pretty much all followed the same plot.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
In the late 1950's, those were high style. I had a friend, a woman now in her eighties, who encountered Elvis when they were both in their late teens, remembering him as quite soft-spoken and polite in a charming way. My late wife's mother was a huge fan, mostly after The King departed, and my older sister still likes Elvis memorabilia; I'm sending her a black and white photo Elvis jigsaw puzzle for her birthday this month. I was never an ardent fan, but his music was the soundtrack of my childhood. I like his gospel best.
My mom is an Elvis fan. I remember when she and her friend saw him at the Capital Centre outside of DC. It was the 70s, not long before he died. She used to always play "Live from Hawaii", if I remember the title correctly, on the 8 track.

Reactions: peregrinus

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a long shot, but true. My minesweeper, USS Gallant, MSO 489, appeared in an Elvis movie in which he played a guy in transition from being a Navy diver to a civilian. There are actually scenes of the ship, and the actors aboard the ship, a few minutes early in the movie. A Forums member sent me a DVD of the movie. It actually makes me homesick for that old wooden hull. By the time I served on her, a radio shack had been added to the superstructure, but beyond that, it was mostly unchanged. I'll stop before I rattle on about the details. Movies being movies, we never had any divers operating off the ship.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
USS Gallant, MSO 489

Here’s a picture to set the scene:

USS_Gallant_(MSO-489)_underway_in_1984.jpeg

I read the whole Wikipedia article about her, and it was clearly incomplete, as it didn’t have a single sentence about pipe smoking.

Last edited:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've always had a soft spot for The King, as by most accounts, he was a genuinely good guy. There were stories about how when he would tour and read local papers, he'd read of folks having trouble and show up and help them out with mortgage payments and the like.

I've always enjoyed his music. Very talented man.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
[
Seems like one time I had a leather covered pipe. Don't know where it is now.
I have lost track of some pipes also.
I recently “re-discovered” 2 Barling EL sized pipes that I had put away 20+ years ago because I thought them too small at that time.
Now, my preferences in tobaccos and my smoking habits have changed and I find them just right for some tobaccos.
Hope you rediscover your pipe.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Here's a long shot, but true. My minesweeper, USS Gallant, MSO 489, appeared in an Elvis movie in which he played a guy in transition from being a Navy diver to a civilian. There are actually scenes of the ship, and the actors aboard the ship, a few minutes early in the movie. A Forums member sent me a DVD of the movie. It actually makes me homesick for that old wooden hull. By the time I served on her, a radio shack had been added to the superstructure, but beyond that, it was mostly unchanged. I'll stop before I rattle on about the details. Movies being movies, we never had any divers operating off the ship.

I have been curious as to what your handle meant. Now I get it. Pretty cool.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.