PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Well, it is a Saturn Grade. An older, and abandoned grading system that he used for a time. Obviously, since it's a blast, it is not an archival piece of wood. But, he does not make a bad pipe -- ever. I'm curious why the stem is not fully inserted into the shank of the pipe. Is there something preventing a full insertion? All his 'Tom Eltang' branded pipes have vulcanite stems, which are hand cut and finished by him. It looks to be in good shape. It is a desirable pipe. You can get an idea of the retail value of the pipe by looking at the estates at SPC or P2S. You can compare what you see there to the new prices for Eltang's at DPS or SPC. The stampings make it about 15-20 years old, I'm guessing. And, while I'm guessing, there would probably be a lot of interest in it at a price of two to three Bens.

Reactions: 02Knight

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A Saturn grade.

"Tom used to grade his pipes from Moon, Saturn, Star, Sun, up to Snail. Today, only the Snail grade is still in use. Otherwise, today, price indicates grade."

That's your starting off point.

Reactions: 02Knight

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
On the stem and the question above, DON'T FORCE IT!!!
Thank you very much @dmcmtk Your help is most appreciated. As to the reason the stem is not fully inserted is because it is at an auction house here in Texas. I go visit it on Saturday and will insert the stem into the pipe and let them know to not separate them anymore, that it can be bad for the pipe. Hopefully I will be the winning bidder and it and then resell it. Thanks once more for the links, great info!

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
Well, it is a Saturn Grade. An older, and abandoned grading system that he used for a time. Obviously, since it's a blast, it is not an archival piece of wood. But, he does not make a bad pipe -- ever. I'm curious why the stem is not fully inserted into the shank of the pipe. Is there something preventing a full insertion? All his 'Tom Eltang' branded pipes have vulcanite stems, which are hand cut and finished by him. It looks to be in good shape. It is a desirable pipe. You can get an idea of the retail value of the pipe by looking at the estates at SPC or P2S. You can compare what you see there to the new prices for Eltang's at DPS or SPC. The stampings make it about 15-20 years old, I'm guessing. And, while I'm guessing, there would probably be a lot of interest in it at a price of two to three Bens.
Thank you also @Sonorisis I see your very knowledgeable about pipes. There is another one there that I am not for sure of either, it is a Vollmer and Nilsson straight Billiard. Past my bedtime here will post on it tomorrow. Kudos on your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.