PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Smoking Elizabethan mixture for the first time and thoroughly enjoying it, it's been a nice mid-day smoke in-between my normal English rotation! When I opened the tin, which had a years age on it, the moisture level was fairly dry, no clumping whatsoever when pinched, which is exactly how I like it so no dry time needed!puffy Was wondering if this was typical of Elizabethan, or did the tin lose its seal? It seemed on there pretty tight so I didn't think it lost the seal but was wanting to put some away in the celler for long-term aging and would hate to find a tin full of mummy dust after some years in the celler! It doesn't seem like this is typical of the dunhill/peterson tins that I've opened in the past, most were fairly moist out of the tin and needed some significant drying time for my preference! Just assumed this is the way Elizabethan was meant to be tinned, but you know what they say about assumptions! Wondering if it would be prudent to just jar up any of this blend in the future that I plan on cellering?

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
If you liked Elizabethan you may want to try Sutliff's Match Victorian. A lot cheaper, especially when on sale, and in bulk.
It's funny you mentioned sutliffs match version! I actually tried that one first and didn't care for it at all! Seemed harsh with cigarette notes and some artificial / chemical taste is what I got from it! But truth be told at the time I tried it I didn't get Virginia or Virginia perique Blends yet, it's only been in the past month or so that I've really started to understand those blends and find enjoyment with them! I will revisit that Sutliff Victorian in the future! I know it's gotten rave reviews from the likes of Jim inks and other highly respected pipe smokers.. and I love the price point!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I know that but I've opened 2 tins of Peterson EM and 2 of Dunhill and there is a definite moisture difference. Maybe it's due to age but there is a difference.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
My Elizabethan is generally pretty optimum on moisture, absolutely no set-up nor too dry. It's been jarred however going on two years now.

Jun 23, 2019
Smoking Elizabethan mixture for the first time and thoroughly enjoying it, it's been a nice mid-day smoke in-between my normal English rotation! When I opened the tin, which had a years age on it, the moisture level was fairly dry, no clumping whatsoever when pinched, which is exactly how I like it so no dry time needed!puffy Was wondering if this was typical of Elizabethan, or did the tin lose its seal? It seemed on there pretty tight so I didn't think it lost the seal but was wanting to put some away in the celler for long-term aging and would hate to find a tin full of mummy dust after some years in the celler! It doesn't seem like this is typical of the dunhill/peterson tins that I've opened in the past, most were fairly moist out of the tin and needed some significant drying time for my preference! Just assumed this is the way Elizabethan was meant to be tinned, but you know what they say about assumptions! Wondering if it would be prudent to just jar up any of this blend in the future that I plan on cellering?

As long as your tins are air tight, there should be no fear of storing them long term.

Warlee

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
On my second tin of EM and have found them just as dry as you have. Which is something I appreciate, easy to stuff a pipe on the go and not have to worry about drying it or packing loose.

Reactions: Masterblaster